LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raman (Owner)     13 May 2013

Divorce or legal seperation, how to proceed, cost & time

I am right now in a big mess, and I really want to end this 25yr old marraige/relationship. I have gone through a hell lot fo trouble my entire life due to this man. But, now no more.

I want to end this marraige, but unsure about my legal rights.

What is legal seperation & divorce, How are they different from each other? I am not that strong financially, and, unsure about how much this case filing & running up/down the courtroom gonna cost me. Can anyone help with an estimated cost or time effort. 

But, I am not sure how to proceed with my application for divorce. And, another concern is how costly can be filing the divorce case. And, how much time its gonna take for me to get justice. I have consulted couple of lawyers in Delhi, but the fees that they quoted was really high, as high as 70,000Rs.


Plz help, -Raman


 7 Replies

ashoksrivastava (scientist)     13 May 2013

Are their any children from the marriage?

Raman (Owner)     13 May 2013

Yes, 2 childrens Girl of Age 24 & boy of Age 16

Ranee....... (NA)     13 May 2013

why do you want to divorce your hubby?Do this reasn amounts to any ground of divorce according to law?In family court no advocate is needed if your represent yourself.

Ranee....... (NA)     13 May 2013

why do you want to divorce your hubby?Do this reasn amounts to any ground of divorce according to law?In family court no advocate is needed if you represent yourself.Only at the time of drafting the petition you need gud lawer which you can find here too!

ashoksrivastava (scientist)     14 May 2013

To file divorce petition you must have some valid ground under hma like cruelty desertion adultery etc. To get divorce you must be able to prove it. 70000 fee is normal for delhi but lawyers find ways to extract more during course of trial.its a long and tedious process. Pl. first explore the possibility of MCD if you are damn sure that marriage is not workable. regards ASHOK

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     19 May 2013

Rs. 70,000/- is high. Try some economical lawyers, as matrimonial matters are very easy to solve unlike land disputes. Ranee had said you can represent yourself.  But this is not possible, because there will be lot of formalities and sections and procedures to be followed.  You cannot do yourself.  It is better to engage a lawyer.


First of all try for mutual consent divorce.  


If he is not giving mutual consent, go for divorce. 

Paras Awasthi (Businessman)     10 June 2013


You should try to seek a mutual consent divorce if possible.

It is very important to get yourself a good lawyer at this point, if you have decided that it is divorce that you want. I acknowledge that it is very tought to get responsible lawyers of good standing who also charge fairly. Even if you hire lawyers now for a lesser fee, it may so happen that they will find ways to extract more money from you by making one excuse or the other. so it is very important that you get yourself a lawyer who also gives you good advice and does your case dilligently.

I suggest you try out www. lawkonect. com


On this website you can get detailed reply to your legal queries from practicing lawyers. If you want to hire a lawyer, you can choose from a wide number of lawyers on the website according to your budget and requirements. The best part is that the lawyer gets paid only after he does the decided work. Visit www.lawkonect.com


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register