LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Arya   25 August 2017

Divorce If child is US citizen

Hi I got married through a matrimony portal to a person who is currently working in USA on H1b visa I am on H4 dependent visa We had a daughter in USA on 3 May 2017 Things are not in harmony with us He is abusive and aggressive He didn't even care for our daughter I am currently in India and don't want to go back Q1 How long can I stay with my daughter here Her OCI card is valid for 5 years Q2 If I will file a divorce here what are the chances of getting my daughter custody Q3 If I will not go back can he file an abduction case against me? Q 4 What is the best resort?

Learning

5 Replies

Siddharth Srivastava (Advocate)     26 August 2017

1 As per law you shall be required to extend the visa and after majority your daughter shall have to opt the citizenship of with country. 2. As per law till the age of 5 years mother is the natural guardian of the child and thereafter father is the natural guardian but in case of girl child court prefer mother in case of awarding guardianship of girl child. 3. So your husband cannot file case of abduction against you. 4. It depends upon you as to how you wish to lead your married life. Sidharth9811776422

Ramkesh Kaushal (Advocate)     26 August 2017

1) You must get your visa extent first.

2) In your case you will get the custody of your daughter.

3) Your Husband can not file abduction case against you.

4) Its completely depends on you whether you want to continoue your married life or not.

Ramkesh Kaushal 8826802789

Adv Radhika Mehta (Advocate)     27 August 2017

Originally posted by : Arya

Hi
I got married through a matrimony portal to a person who is currently working in USA on H1b visa

were you domiciled in India at the time of marriage? Where did you get married?
I am on H4 dependent visa
We had a daughter in USA on 3 May 2017
Things are not in harmony with us
He is abusive and aggressive
He didn't even care for our daughter
I am currently in India and don't want to go back
Q1 How long can I stay with my daughter here
Her OCI card is valid for 5 years

You can stay with your daughter here. 

Q2 If I will file a divorce here what are the chances of getting my daughter custody

Indian Courts generally prefer a mother for custody.  If you have made up your mind to put an end to your marriage, i would advise you to file quickly as in such cases of Private Internatonal Law, an order prior in time is important. 
Q3 If I will not go back can he file an abduction case against me?

Yes he can and he most likely will. But whether the same will be considered by the Courts here or not depends upon a lot of circumstances.  
Q 4 What is the best resort?

That depends on what you want? Do you want to put an end to your marriage? Do you want to shift to India or do you want to contest your case there itself? If you provide a more detailed query, it will be easier to help you. 

Arya   28 August 2017

Hi I got married in Jaipur India Yes we both are Indians. I want my daughter to study in USA But as if now I want to stay with my parents My husband is very cruel I don't have any freedom to go anywhere Or to spend a single $

Adv Radhika Mehta (Advocate)     30 August 2017

Then you can file for Divorce under the provisions of HMA and ask for custody in the same matter.  For if you file a separate Petition for Custody under the Guardians and Wards Act, the same has to be filed in the ordinary residence of the child.  Since your child born in May and recently brought to Mumbai, it might be difficult to prove the jurisdiction of the Court. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register