LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ajayKD (Client)     30 December 2013

Divorce for dummies - a guide

The legal system in India, as you'll soon find out, is convoluted and hopeless.

Please take the following into consideration before you begin: (I apologize beforehand for being blunt and not sugar-coating anything, I wish someone had done this when I started my battle, which was an uphill walk, both ways)

1. It will take you at least a year to get your divorce. After you file your papers, your ex will be served notice. If she is expecting one, she won't receive it. The earliest date will be about 3 months from the time you put in papers. Each of the following may happen any number of times and each will take 1-3 months at least.

- Non-Appearance of either party
- Judge on holiday
- Your counsel being on holiday / having a hangover or just plain lazy
- Cross - Examination of both parties
- Response to cross -examination
- At this stage, you've probably managed to have the judge think better of you and that you're not a professional misogynist but aha! our legal system will throw another curve-ball at you - have the judge transferred and better still - it will be a lady judge and the icing on the cake - she'll be 60 , unmarried and hate men.

- Exchange of Articles (She will inflate her list or deny items on yours or both depending on how much she hates you)

- FINAL STEP: Having a court verdict of your marriage being nullified by which time several new buildings will have been constructed, the rupee will hit 75 against the dollar and your credit card collection agents will figure out new ways of contacting you.

2. Be prepared to be challenged and your integrity doubted. If you have incriminating evidence, such as photos, be prepared to have them refuted and your collection of evidence will be looked upon as a scheming plan on your side to have been making preparations to divorce your ex. who will play the damsel in distress to her advantage.

3. You cannot rule out the possibility of your counsel being paid off by the other party. It can and has happened. Either counsel can:

- Drag the case till you give up

- Be in collusion and take a percentage of the alimony / final settlement. I heard a story of an advocate who negotiated a 1 time settlement of fifteen lacs from the estranged husband and paid the woman five. The counsel in question drives an ML 320 and the woman in question takes the bus.

- Have paperwork / evidence stolen, manipulated and/or replaced (You will wonder how often the term "bundle missing" gets thrown around and the legal system finds it a perfectly acceptable excuse)

4.  You cannot fight the case remotely. If the other party puts in more appearances than you, then you'll be looked down upon and seen as a fraudster for firstly putting an "innocent" woman through divorce and secondly for wasting the court's time. Getting a divorce will be your new full time job. Your bosses will begin noticing words like "wherefore" in your emails and you'll understand why the 498a syndrome needs a cure before cancer.

5. If you don't have any children, your ex will play her ultimate trump card, i.e. challenge your manhood by claiming impotency. The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate to the court.

6. The assault is not over when you end up winning the case, thanks to the laws in India, Your ex can claim both alimony AND share in the property that you earned yourself (i.e. not inherited).If your ex has access to your financial information or your counsel is bribed, the pay-out will be designed to hurt you. Read up about the symptoms of the Ebola virus, now multiply that by 100. That's your pay-out

8. Nobody reads any paperwork, no body has the time to. A typical day at the family court will see the judge hearing about 200 cases. Nobody is a unique snowflake. If you have never been to a court before and I assume that's the case, it's nothing like the movies. You don't get to speak. If you do, its for 3.5 seconds. You'll start sounding like the guy who says "Insurance is the subject matter...". If you have heard of an elevator pitch, this is the court pitch.

9. Don't dress to the nines for your court appearances. You'll be mistaked for an obnoxious NRI- weds wife and divorces her because he's bored-type. I have a special shirt I use for these occasions. I haven't washed it since the day I bought it and it fits the court-room requirements well.

Find an advocate who is pretty consistent with keeping time / court appearances and can use e-mail, skype and other gifts of modern technology. (80% of advocates keep 100 feet away from MS Word, the remaining 20% work for the 80%)

There is no magic, formula, technique to getting a divorce and nobody can deny you one if you have decided not to live with your ex.

You need to be persistent, indifferent, thick skinned and dumb. That's how I got mine.

Learning

10 Replies

ashishvidyarthi (engineer)     30 December 2013

Hi excellent piece of advice and practical information. Can you please elaborate on the tricks used by husbands lawyer to extract commission on alimony agreed and its quantum as percentage? regards ASHISH

ajayKD (Client)     30 December 2013

Ashish,

Thanks for your kind compliments.

I don't think there is a standard trick or sharing strategy that is used rather the situation presents itself in such a way that confidence is able to be compromised.

Most litigants do not read paperwork and even sign documents without understanding its true nature and intent.

In a situation like the dissolution of a marriage, both parties are already at loggerheads with each other putting the messenger, usually the counsel, in an interesting  situation.

gd dy (gd dy)     30 December 2013

gd dy.
appreciate ur observation and hope it is frm own experience.

thn req. u to share ur experience - gud or bad, suggestion - hw to keep distance frm certain situation if nt avoidable etc. etc.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     30 December 2013

It seems that the author has been thoroughly frustrated with the conduct of his case, he speaks out of his own experience, he might have had his own bitter experiences which he is sharing it here and expecting his like minded people to click 'like' button;  Well it is not so everywhere, our judiciary or judicial system has not gone that low as have been propagated by the author. I dont say that his case is a remote example, I agree that the various constraints  dominate the factors resulting into such inevitable situations, but any system cannot be changed overnight. In fact the changes in the judicial administration across the country can be significantly seen in many places, the presiding officers of the courts are to give explanations with justifiable reasons to the pending cases being reviewed periodically in  frequent intervals by the higher courts.  The fact is that the courts are in fact not able to manage or administer the increased influx of litigation due  to the enormous increase of frustrated/dis-satisfied young generation who without looking for solution straight away knock the doors of court to redress their grievance  and they are so much impatient that they want to dispose their litigation very urgently by some hook or crook, which leads to wide spread corruption  and alleged malpractices all over.

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     30 December 2013

Fine writing with apt observations w.r.t. judges, advocates and litigating harassed parties.  The spirit of smiling springs up despite chilling emotional turmoil.  I want to add: 200 cases per day in family court.  But in most of the courts after lunch hours they look barren.  The judges retire to chambers for noon nap that extends till evening.  Expeditious trials with time bound decisions certainly minimize the trauma.  International standards prescribe 56 judges for ten lakh population, but India adopted 106 judges for ten lakh population, but even that also not maintained as a large number of judicial posts are left vacant.  If the required number of judges are there and they are insturcted not to go for adjournement spree when the advocates seek them for vested purposes.

great india (manager)     30 December 2013

just a perfect illustration... of todays era of divorce cases.... giid one

great india (manager)     30 December 2013

just a perfect illustration... of todays era of divorce cases.... giid one

vijay (M)     31 December 2013

Perfect illustration of the system.  However there is one lacunae.  The male will usually not be fighting only one case.  Because as is usual, the opposite lawyer will launch into a few dozen more cases, and then from the husbands side too.  

So multiply the above situation by 10 times or more.  Both parties will be full time doing rounds of the courts just to get separated, which they already are.

ajayKD (Client)     31 December 2013

Thanks everyone for your kind words of appreciation and for moving from denial to acceptance.

Some still are in denial that a problem even exists.

I was charged with the kidnap of my own son under section 363 IPC and my name was published in the newspapers. This happened even while the mother of the child abandoned him with her parents, was living abroad and no directions for custody were in effect.

The Inspector of the station where the FIR was filed wanted 50,000 INR to close the case where I, the father of the child, was charged with kidnap of my own son !

I refused

When I applied for bail, I was made to sit on the floor.

Not to mention, the Inspector was already bribed in the first place to register a case against me.

I wrote to the Prime Minister's Office. Attached is the response.

I even wrote the President, CM, the Governor, the Director General of Police but nothing happened. I got responses but no action.

Large scale bribery does exist and I can attest to it being a victim myself.

Some of us are luckier than others. I recall a spine chilling tale told to me by one litigant, for the purposes of this story, let's call him X

X was working in a top software company in India, one of the best and was in love with a girl from a very very influential family. The kind you'd be able to recognize by their family name. Due to the girl's family not accepting his proposal for marriage, the girl and Mr. X got married and duly registered the same. The girl moved into the boy's home thereafter.

The girls parents then visit this girl, threaten her that they'd commit suicide. The girl agrees to come home and this is where it gets really interesting.

They (girl's parents) get the girl to file a complaint with the police that she was cheated, did not know she was getting married, rather she was told to say in her police complaint that what was told to her when she affixed her signature was that she was merely "a witness" to someone elses' marriage.

An FIR was registered and Mr. X, his mother (residing in a town 500 kms away), the friends who witnessed the wedding AND ironically even the driver of the car they traveled in were named as accused, charged and remanded in Puzhal Central Jail, Chennai.

X was sacked obviously from his job; his colleagues came to be aware and you can imagine his plight but it doesn't end there.

After 3 months or so, I don't recall the exact duration, they were released. 24 hours later , X was re-arrested on new charges of having attacked the girl's father shortly after being released and remanded to custody again.

X now lives with his mother. He has turned a recluse and when I spoke to him, didn't seem like a bright engineer that was once his former self.

This will change you if it already hasn't !

Attached File : 80126125 pmo letter.jpg downloaded: 165 times

vijay (M)     31 December 2013

I believed such chilling stories abound.  Nobody takes notice because it affects MEN in india, who have no rights in the eyes of law.  Like I said earlier, every Ram knocking on the doors is assumed a Ravana even if proved otherwise.

When India is incapable of respecting its own tax paying citizens at home, why should we expect Indians will get any respect outside.  Case in point are the numerous incidents of impropriety committed to even its Ex-Presidents in US.  In hindi - apni Izzat karni nahin aaati to doosre kyon tumhari izzat karenge.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register