Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Paul (Manager)     14 May 2013

Divorce filed in usa, can that be reconsidered in india

Dear All,

I am a project manager working with an Indian IT company and now posted in USA. We are married for 10 years and having 2 kids ( 7 year & 3 year) . My wife is a home maker and on dependant visa . My wife found someone during her visit to India and started asking for divorce after coming back . She has made several phone calls and e-mails to the persons whom she want to marry. I have some e-mail proof that talks about their elicit relationship .

Now she has filed no-fault divorce in US in a family court . She agrreed earlier for no maintennace and giving elder son to me as placement..joint custody on both the sons ...however I am no sure if she would change her decission and plan to take both the kids with her .She will ask for child support and spousal support .In USA as it is a country of no-fault divorce extra -marital affair has not any reason .

I am very attached to the children and do not want to loose them . She is planning to get divorced here and get married to her boyfrined in India and move to a different country along with my kids.

Her family members started putting lot of blame on us and threating my parents about 498A case etc .They have a plan to get her daugther with my two kids and will keep her at their native place with a legal separation. That way I will end up paying maintennace but would be the biggest loser .

As me and my wife are in US now her family members are not able to file any case against us . Also my wife is not in the side of her parents to file any kind of case against us .

I am not able to take a decission whether to go for divorce here in USA would be in my favor or getting divorced in India would be in my favor. My wife's family members have very strong hold and power in India.

However I do not want to come under pressure from my wife ( DV) and agree to whatever she say here for mutual divorce . If things are not in favor I am planning either to go for a content in US family court or go back to India and contest there .

What are the best options for me ... There are so many ifs and buts ..not able to decide clearly . One thing is clear her family members might try to put us in trouble / demand heavy money from me .

If the US family court settle the matter of child placement - say both kids goes to her , can I file a case later in India court to reconsider the decision. Also I was thinking of aksing for 1st one year for my elsder son to be with me ... not sure if that would help .

Also if we have join custody on both kids- is there any way I can restirct her not to travle with my kids without my permission.

Also I am hearing as my salary is very high in India ( abt 20lac) she might ask for big monthly compensation - may be 30-40% of my salary ..is that a possibility ?

Please let me know various possibilities that would help me to take a clear decission .

Best Regards

Rohit

Learning

5 Replies

Paul (Manager)     14 May 2013

Respected sirs,

Our marriage took place as per HMA.

Thanks

Paul

(Guest)

Paul,

I think one solution could be to get Divorce in the U.S based on Adultery of your wife.This way,if she changes her mind on reaching India atleast you have some proof of her adulteries and also this ground for divorce is also there in India(No fault divorce doesn`t exist in India).Best thing is to go for Mutual Divorce/Divorce based on Adultery in India ofcourse.

Either way,your wife cannot marry in India wth just a  divorce finalised in the U.S.

(Guest)

Yes,you would be expected to pay Interim Alimony of around 30% till the case is over.If you are going to contest the case in INDIA,better to have strong proofs for her adultery.Otherwise,you will lose.So decide what you want to do and start planning accordingly.

Paul (Manager)     16 May 2013

Thanks for your suggestion .

I confirmed with US based attorney and adultery is not a ground here for divorce ..they call it the marriage is irretrievably broken / no-fault divorce .

However my wife has a bigger plan to get the divorce here and then immediately get marriedto the guy who is in India and go to aforegin country ( Dubai or so) with my kids ...

I don't mind her marrying to other guy ...but I really do not want to loose my kids .. she started threating that I can contest in court but she being the mother will anyway win .

I want to confirm in US after divorce she can't marry someone at least for 6 months , will that be valid in India as well ? Or we we need to go for a mutual divorce in India also based on this no-fault divorce to make this effective.

Also I want to confirm one more thing , on child custody, placement, maintenance for childs and spouse ( if shpouse agree for one time lumpsome) that would be decided by US family court ... can that be challenged in Indian court / re considered ....?

Please asnwer these points and that would help me to take my decission in a better way .

Thanks in advance ..

Best regards

Paul

ajay sethi (lawyer)     16 May 2013

1) dont go in for divorce on grounds of irrvetrieable break down in UsA

2) as  far as HMA is concerned you continue to be husband and wife . it is advisable to go in for mutual consent divorce in india . 

3) if wife dosent agree go in for contested divorce  go in for contested divorce in india . 

4) as afr as custody of children is concerned welfare of child is paramount consideration 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register