LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Divorce due to non consummation

I came across this judgement, to a layman wilful non consummation of marriage can be used as a ground for divorce, please let me know how effective would this ground be.

Jibu Mathew Tharakan vs Renila Nina on 18 November, 2008

IN THE HIGH COURT OF KERALA AT ERNAKULAM

Mat.Appeal.No. 468 of 2008()

1. JIBU MATHEW THARAKAN

... Petitioner

Vs

1. RENILA NINA

... Respondent

For Petitioner :SRI.C.RAJENDRAN

For Respondent :SRI.V.PHILIP MATHEW

The Hon'ble MR. Justice P.R.RAMAN

The Hon'ble MR. Justice T.R.RAMACHANDRAN NAIR Dated :18/11/2008

O R D E R

P.R. RAMAN &

T.R. RAMACHANDRAN NAIR, JJ.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

MAT. APPEAL NO. 468 OF 2008

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = DATED THIS, THE 18TH DAY OF NOVEMBER, 2008. J U D G M E N T

Ramachandran Nair, J.

This appeal is filed by the husband in a matrimonial dispute. The respondent- wife sought for divorce under Section 10 of the Indian Divorce Act by filing O.P. 203/2007 before the Family Court, Kottayam. She had filed another Original Petition for return of money and gold ornaments as O.P. 202/2007. Both the cases were tried together and disposed of by a common judgment.

2. Divorce is sought on various grounds like impotency of the husband, non consummation of the marriage, cruelty etc. The evidence in the case consists of the testimony of PWs 1 to 3 on behalf of the wife and the oral evidence of RW.1, the father of the appellant, on his side. Exts.C1 is a medical report. The other documents are Exts.A1 and A2, and B1 to B3.

3. This appeal is concerned only with the divorce granted by the Family court. Mainly, the decree for divorce is granted on the ground that M.A. 468/2008 :2:

the cruelty alleged by the wife stands proved. The plea that the husband is impotent was rejected for want of sufficient evidence.

4. We have heard the learned counsel for the parties. The allegation is that the marriage was not consummated at all. The marriage was solemnized on 4.1.2004 and they started residing together in the paternal house of the wife at Changanacherry as well as in the house of the appellant - husband in Kundara. The wife went to Dubai on 23.1.2004 and the husband also accompanied her there on 3.2.2004, wherein they were residing together with the parents of the wife up to second week of March, 2006. Subsequently, dispute arose between the parties which resulted in separation. The wife, in the petition, alleged in para 5 that from the very beginning of the marriage itself the appellant was not interested in s*xual intercourse and the marriage was not consummated. She has alleged various acts of cruelty also in the petition. A reading of the objection filed by the husband shows that the fact that the marriage was not consummated is practically admitted even though he denied the allegation of impotency. According to him, the wife could not conceive due to various reasons.

5. Before the Family Court, PW.1 gave evidence regarding the non- consummation of marriage, impotency and the allegation of cruelty. But after the medical report Ext.C1 was received wherein it is recorded that M.A. 468/2008 :3: further examination is necessary as regards the husband, practically the ground of impotency was not pursued. The Family Court mainly considered the question of cruelty. Regarding that, apart from the evidence of PW.1, the only evidence is that of PW.2, the mother. Even according to the mother, the alleged torture of the respondent was not before her. It is stated that a criminal case alleging offence under Section 498 A I.P.C. is pending. By accepting the sole testimony of the wife alone, cruelty was found. We are of the view that going by the evidence, clinching materials have not been established to prove cruelty and the divorce granted on that ground cannot be sustained.

6. The next aspect is non-consummation of the marriage. There is clear allegation in the petition regarding the non-consummation of marriage though the parties co-habited in India as well as in Dubai. The husband also, in his objection, practically admitted that there was no consummation of marriage; of course the reasons found out by him are different. In para 19 of the judgment, the court below has found that though the wife had failed to prove the impotency of the husband, her version that the husband was not interested for s*xual intercourse is true and believable. The most competent person to say about s*xual intercourse is the wife and she deposed that even a single day there was any s*xual intercourse with the M.A. 468/2008 :4:

husband. As noted already the husband never entered the box and only his father was examined. Therefore, regarding non-consummation of the marriage, there is the uncontroverted testimony of the wife. Therefore, there is clear proof that the marriage was never consummated and going by Section 10(xii) of the Indian Divorce Act, the same is a ground for granting a divorce. We are of the view that in the absence of any oral testimony by the husband, it can be presumed that there was clear refusal on his part to consummate the marriage. We therefore hold that the wife is entitled for a decree of divorce for non-consummation of marriage due to refusal by the husband. Therefore, the appeal is partly allowed. The decree of the court below stands modified and we grant a decree for divorce on the ground of non-consummation of the marriage.

There will be no order as to costs.

P.R. RAMAN,

(JUDGE)

T.R. RAMACHANDRAN NAIR,

(JUDGE)

knc/-

Learning

16 Replies

(Guest)

I think you need to frame your question correctly.

Willful non consumation denotes non consumation due to unwillingness of one of the party. If one party willingly keeps marriage non consumate - naturally other side has a ground for divorce and multiple judgments have been given awarding divorce decree  for marriage being non consumate.

But this relief can not sought by the party who kept the marriage non consumate.

(Guest)

I'm 31 married in Jan-11, wife stayed with me for just 20 days and she was unwilling to consumate marriage. RCR filed in June, Judge stated that ex parte decree would be given in my favor in the next hearing, Although I dont have any intention of staying with her now ( too much water has flown under the bridge during the interim period) Wife took her stridhan last month but unwilling for MCD, I plan to file for divorce in Jan-12. Is it a good idea, any advice or tips.

(Guest)

Once you get a degree in your favor for RCT, you should send a copy of the degree to your wife through speed post/registered post.

If she does not join you, after one year of degree you can file for divorce.

If you want something quicker than that, you should go for mutual consent divorce.( if it is feasible)

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     01 October 2011

yes and  RCR is the proper route .

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     01 October 2011

yes i am agreed with above

(Guest)
Originally posted by :Onlytruth
"
Once you get a degree in your favor for RCT, you should send a copy of the degree to your wife through speed post/registered post.

If she does not join you, after one year of degree you can file for divorce.

If you want something quicker than that, you should go for mutual consent divorce.( if it is feasible)
"

Learn English from  my ADOPTED PAPAJI!!

(Guest)

This person is real bufoon.

Do you know that degree is valid word? And it was suppose the mean what it means above..

If you have poor comprehension,,, you know what you need to do..

But whom I am talking to ,, the person who has no value add to do in a thread...

Poor girl..I have sympathy for you...

(Guest)

There is nothing wrong with the english of Only Truth..it is correct...

But why are we deviating from the main issue here...even if the english is wrong..there is no caluse mentioning that all the english written in this forum has to be correct...

THIS IS NOT A ENGLISH LANGUAGE EXAM...to remind you all..this is a forum for legal solution and a serious forum..most of the people here are seeking help..and are distressed...(some humor is acceptable..just to change the mood sometimes)...

This is not for people who come here to pass time...

DF

sheela subbarao (Advocate)     01 October 2011

File a petition Under Section 10 (vii)  can be a ground for divorce under Indian Christian Act. The legal provision states, if wilfully refused to consummate the marriage and the marriage has not therefore been consummated.

(Guest)

Does the word Degree that onlytruth is using  is applicable here??

Does it equivalent to word decree??

onlytruth I am a bufoon....buty u r a buffoon..

@Mr DF

Why do you keep quite when tajob makes comments on our English??

R those threads english teaching class?

(Guest)

Madam,

I have no hard feelings against you...I dont know you...and would I would not like to know who you are...i dont want to argue or keep arguing over a trivial point...

But my intention is to make some people understand that most of us are suffering and there is no time to waste or call each other names...and pass time in this forum...

I have said (you might say that "who am I to say?")..that some humor is good and also required..its OK..but someone has to draw a line somewhere...ever after so much of suffering...if you have all the time and energy and enthu to carry on this kind of a thing...it means that you have not suffered at all...it is all fun for you

I am not perfect in english language..and we all make mistakes...but it is not fare to make fun of someone who is making a mistake...whether it is degree or decree...

See, YOU COULD EASILY UNDERSTAND THAT IT WAS DECREE AND NOT DEGREE..and all of us understood that it was decree and not degree....

Since you did not have any difficulty in understanding the point being conveyed...there was no requirement of making fun of someone over it...

1 Like

mrgop (Owner)     01 October 2011

Is wilful non consummation of marriage a ground for divorce under Hindu Marriage Act?

(Guest)

@mrgp

Yes, but on the ground of cruelty.

(Guest)

Danny "filth" jee

Aap saurabh V. ki dusri ID ho na?

Sachi sachi batao.Mai kisi ko nahi bataungi.

Pakka promise:P

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More