LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

seeker (business woman)     10 June 2013

Divorce and housin rights

My ex wife left to India after getting divorced in USA.  It was contested and she applied for the divorce so valid in India.

she misguided the court in USA that she does not have properties and she quit her job so got temporary spousal support.  Now she is misleading India court hiding her properties.  I had a house we lived in before moving to USA now I sold it to clear debts.  Can she ask the court to provide housing rights in my house after she finished divorce in USA.  Can she claim maintenance again in India.

Learning

2 Replies

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     10 June 2013

you can file a counter petition through a indian lawyer stating the fact that you both have taken divorce and the us court had already granted divorce and it is valid in india also 

for your reference go through this article by one of our members 

https://advocatebharatchugh.wordpress.com/2012/11/17/validity-of-foreign-divorce-decree-in-india-does-your-ukus-divorce-stand/

seeker (business woman)     11 June 2013

divorce grounds was irreconcilliable differences/irretrievable breakdown of marriage’ , i heard this is accepted in India now.  should we apply in indian court again to validate the foreingn divorce.

the divorce was contested and both accepted the jurisdiction.  please confirm.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More