Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

amar (Manager)     21 July 2011

Difference in surname in 1oth and Graduation certificates

Dear Sir,

My name is 'Amar Kumar' and my father's name is 'Dinesh Singh'. I have done my 10th and 12th from CBSE board. The name indicated in 10th and 12th certificates are Amar Kumar (Name-Amar, Surname-Kumar).

Further I did my graduation and post graduation from Mumbai university. University has put my father's surname in my name as surname (as they think that Kumar is not a surname). My name in graduation and post graduation certificates appear as 'Amar Singh'. Even my PAN card has the name as 'Amar Singh'. My marriage certificate also bears the name 'Amar Singh'.

Now I am facing problem in applying for passport. My DOB certifcate (10th passing certifcate) bear the name 'Amar Kumar' whereas other certifcates like graduation, PAN, Ration Card etc. has the name 'Amar Singh'.

How to correct this situation as I want to have my passport in the name of 'Amar Singh'.


Amar Singh


 9 Replies

himanshu harbola (Comp. Sec.)     21 July 2011

give an affidavit on Rs. 10 stamp paper along with photocopy of ur 10th and 12th crtificate self attested............

Ashwin Hawelikar (Advocate)     23 July 2011

I think the Affidavit should be on the Stamp Paper of Rs.100/-

preeti (.)     25 August 2011

Hi,I want to add my surname in my 10th & 12th certificate.So,pls somebody suggest me the procedure.Bcz now i m facing my problems.

Ashwin Hawelikar (Advocate)     26 August 2011

First question arise is whether the certificate issued are without Surname?  secondlty whether you are married now and want to put Husbands surname? Thirdly, do you want to correct the surname which is wrongly written on the Certificate/marksheets? After clarification of this i think answer can be given..

preeti (.)     31 August 2011

yes,my certificate issued is without surname..No,i m not married...pls tell me the procedure to add on the surname in my all the certificate that means of 10th,12th & graduation.

Ashwin Hawelikar (Advocate)     31 August 2011

Strange condition: What was the reason your surname did not come in those certificate?

Anyways, if the certificates are issued without surname then,  you will have to first make an application to your concern board for the correction in certificates, (first you make it for 10th, thereafter for 12th ) and make an Affidavit stating the reasons why the name is not updated in the records of board. Give documentary evidence in support of the Affidavit like, your leaving certificate, license, birth certificate, domicile to prove about the surname.

preeti (.)     02 September 2011

Thanx for ur suggestion,bt that tme i dont knw the imptnce of adding surname in my certificate,,thats a big mistake i made.,bt pls can u tell me the short procedure,,bcz if i put an application to a concern board,,it is long procedure.

one more thng affidavit is not sufficient to show my surname.

Ashwin Hawelikar (Advocate)     02 September 2011

Your are welcome, Even if its long, you have to face it, you have no option. Affidavit only is not sufficient, you have to give them documentary evidence, they may ask many documents and you have to provid them. Also annex similar documents of your father, Brothers/Sisters to the Affidavit.

preeti (.)     19 July 2012

Hi,M pursuing mba & want to do law after completing it.Can anyone tell me the procedure of doing law from recognised university. I wl be very thanks ful to u.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register