LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mohan Pitchaipillai   20 June 2024

Dhana settlement queries

Hi Sir,

we are planning to do Dhana settlement stamp registration of House and land property with my wife name. Her father is willing to do it now. The house and land property is owned by my father in law. please let me know any legal information and anything need to take care now. My wife is the only daughter for him. Also Father in law have one brother and two sister. do we need to get any concern from them even though he bought himself. 


 4 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     20 June 2024

Facts posted suggest the property to be sel-acquired. As such, your father-in-law can deal with his property at his discretion. His siblings have no say in settling the property in favour of his only daughter.

What is the context for this posting? Are the siblings raising any objection?

1 Like

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     20 June 2024

The property is your fatherinlaw's own property, he can do gift settlement in his daughter's favour.  And in many states the stamp duty is nominal for the gifts/gift-settlements in favour of family members (mother, wife, son, daughter etc.).

1 Like

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     20 June 2024

If the property belonged to your father in law as an absolute owner with clear and marketable title then there is no embargo on him to transfer his property to his daughter in the mode and manner he wishes to transfer the same by a registered transfer deed.

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     21 June 2024

What do you mean by the term "Dhanna Settlement" since it is a local terminology ?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register