LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajkiran123 (Manager)     18 February 2017

Delay in divorce proceedings

Dear Experts,

I have filed divorce 3 years back on cruelty ground and due to opposite party delay tactics, they are succesfully dragging the case. Till now the proceeding have not even reached cross examination of petitioner. Every time judge gives long dates. Can experts please advise if there is any way I can speed up the trial ? Can I file speedy trial petition in high court showing the delay by oppiste party or any other options available? 

Request experts to provide all possible options to speedup the proceedings. Thank you.


 6 Replies

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     18 February 2017

You can file the application for speedy disposal in the trial court itself. There is a provision in the Hindu Marriage Act for it.


Of course there is provision under Hindu Marriage Act.  But what does your advocate suggest you?


What I suggest is, gp for settlement and finish matter.  Gving one more paper in court will get you two more dates, thats all.

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     18 February 2017

3 years have passed and another couple of years more it will take to finalise with no guarantee that divorce will be allowed.

Best course is to settle with other party, make it agree for divorce by mutual consent.


I am sure you know about MCD and thought about it, but perhaps she is not agreeing. Usually there are two reasons for delay in divorce: money and/or kids. Sometimes it is for revenge. 

Anyway, I doubt if motion of speedy trial in this court or high court will speed it up at all. I hope you know that she can still appeal in high court after the verdict and later in Supreme court as well. She can also file crpc 125 maintenance case also, even after divorce. 

I wonder if you know about all this, that it can take 10-15 years before you get divorce and by then it'll be of little value anyway. 

A walk alone (-)     18 February 2017

Contested divorce takes long time. You can file the application for speedy disposal in the trial court itself. Instead of waiting for divorce better find someone else and start live-in.

SOLOMON.RAJ (advocate/director)     21 February 2017

Dear Raj Kiran,


                        Please file a w.p. in the High Court of your state seeking deirection to the lower court to complete the case with in six months from the dte of pronouncing the order.

Adv.Dr.Solomon Raj
                  L.L.M.( Crimes & Torts )
Advocate, High Court Of A.P. , India
Director, Justice League,
Indian Ombudsman U.E.(U.S.A.)

Ex-Member, Mega Lok Adalat , Criminal Courts,Hyderabad.
                   National Vice president, All India Christian’s Council,
Legal Chairman,  All India Christian’s Council,
Legal Convenor, Y.S. Raj Shekar reddy Congress Party,
Lok Adalat Member, A.P.( Ex)                      
Hon'ry Advisor, St.Joseph's School,
Television Speaker & Theologist,
Core Committee Head, For drafting Act of "Protection of Christian Properties" In Andhra Pradesh. 
______________________________ ______________________________ _______________
Information contained and transmitted by this E-MAIL including any attachment is proprietary to Justice League, Legal firm and is intended solely for the addressee/s, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Access to this e-mail and/or to the attachment by anyone else is unauthorized. If this is a forwarded message, the content and the views expressed in this E-MAIL may not reflect those of the Justice League, legal firm. If you are not the intended recipient, an agent of the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering the information to the named recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution, transmission, printing, copying or dissemination of this information in any way or in any manner is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this mail kindly delete from your system and inform the sender. There is no guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained and nor is this communication free of viruses, interceptions or interference.





Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register