LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sangeeta Kumari (Principal IP Associate)     20 May 2021


can I complain
about defamation against my own parents. they are using abusive words for me in public and trying to defame me


 5 Replies

Sankaranarayanan (Advocate)     20 May 2021

Defamation?  Without any reason how parents abusing their own children?. almost all parents are doing any acts and benefits for the welfare of them, so just think it  and find solution with your family limits

sneha jaiswal   20 May 2021

Hello, Greetings of the day!
For the query you posted, I would suggest that: Try to settle matter amicably.
There is no disallowance to hold you back from suing anyone here including your parents. Whether you ought to or not is a different issue. If you have actual damages because of these allegations, you can surely sue against anyone. Often, a simple cease and desist letter can do the task to hold someone back from proceeding to spread factual lies about you.
Hope it helps
Sneha Jaiswal

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     20 May 2021

children will make mistakes, but when they do, parents will have to sit down, and explain to them why what they did was wrong, and try to help them correct that mistake. Parents and children relationship not comes under defamation.

Arpita Chauhan   20 May 2021

Respected Ma'am,

Firstly to answer your question, yes you can  file a defamation against your parents. There is no such  prohibition that says that  you cannot file a case of defamation against your parents. 

However, there are certain things that you should keep in mind;

To establish the offence of defamation following ingredients must be satisfied:

  • An imputation regarding a person must be made or published.
  • Such imputation could be through writing, words, signs or visible representations.
  • Intent behind such imputation must be to harm the reputation of the concerned about whom imputation is made or published.

There are also certain exceptions to defamation like if a statement made is true than you cannot call it as defamation.

As you are having a conflict with your parents, try to solve the matter in a cordial manner.

I hope I was able to help, however this answer of mine is purely based on internet research so to get more clarification, please consult a lawyer.


Arpita Chauhan

Law Student

Sangeeta Kumari (Principal IP Associate)     21 May 2021

Ur reaction was normal sir. We are 2 sisters and one elder brother. I am married and reside in greater noida. My brother is married too. Earlier he was living separate from my parents but since 3-4 years he has moved to parents home with his family and they have given him a proper newly constructed house and also taking care of all their expenses. I have a younger sister who is in 2nd year. Now problem is that due to the influence of my brother, my parents are daily torturing my sister in some or the other way. I am far, bit still they are abusing me in front of neighborhood and trying to defame me. All is because their son wants so. 

Please let me know if you can help me out

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query