LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

martand shukla   03 July 2017

Death claim of fd without a nominee

Hi, my father was having a joint accout with my mother with Bank of Baroda. He fixed a FD for 45 days but he fails to get the hard copy of the cirtificate of the same and passed away after 6 days. bank says there is no nominee in that FD so it will get roll over till you provide the copy of FD.how can she get the amount ?

Learning

4 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     03 July 2017

Ask the Bank/Banker to provide copy of form signed by deceased despositor and receipt of original FDR signed.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     03 July 2017

RBI has otherwise issued guidelines that have statutory force;

20.1 Accounts with survivor/nominee clause

20.2 Accounts without the survivor / nominee clause

In case where the deceased depositor had not made any nomination or for the accounts other than those styled as "either or survivor" (such as single or jointly operated accounts), banks are required to adopt a simplified procedure for repayment to legal heir(s) of the depositor keeping in view the imperative need to avoid inconvenience and undue hardship to the common person.  In this context, banks may, keeping in view their risk management systems, fix a minimum threshold limit, for the balance in the account of the deceased depositors, up to which claims in respect of the deceased depositors could be settled without insisting on production of any documentation other than a letter of indemnity.

https://www.rbi.org.in/scripttts/bs_viewmascirculardetails.aspx?id=9008#202

These guidelines should be on bank website alongwith  Bank's policy for such matters and on issue and delievery of FDR.

Law Aspire (Legal)     05 July 2017

Originally posted by : martand shukla
Hi, my father was having a joint accout with my mother with Bank of Baroda. He fixed a FD for 45 days but he fails to get the hard copy of the cirtificate of the same and passed away after 6 days. bank says there is no nominee in that FD so it will get roll over till you provide the copy of FD.how can she get the amount ?

what is the meaning of Roll Over

Kumar Doab (FIN)     05 July 2017

Rollover: The FD shall be automatically continued for same period............and so on.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register