LIVE Online Course on Indian Constitution by Dr. Ravishankar Mor. Register Now!!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shruti   12 May 2022

Daughters entitlement in parents' inherited property

I inherited some property after my father died intestate. I sold the property and deposited 30 lakhs in bank FDs. Can I write a Will for this 30 lakhs bank FDs even though it is inheritance and not self acquired property? Can I write a Will giving 30 lakhs to my son and nothing to my daughter? Or is it that I can only write a Will for 1/3rd of my share, that is 10 lakhs to my son, and after I die, my son and daughter will divide the remaining 20 lakhs equally between them? So, son will get total 20 lakhs and daughter will get 10 lakhs. Please advise. 




 3 Replies

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     12 May 2022


In your case, you can write a WILL and you can give the FD amount as per your wish to your son and daughter. 

Shruti   12 May 2022

Somebody told me that precedent has been set in Kachra Bai case by HC of Chhatisgarh that mother cannot write a Will favoring son, and excluding daughters on "inherited" property. If I write a Will favoring son, can my daughters challenge that in court?

Shashi Dhara   12 May 2022

You have right to give entire amount according to ur will for son .ur daughter cannot claim .

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query