LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

rakesh (other)     30 July 2020

Daughter’s share in father’s property

n a Hindu family, can a married or unmarried daughter, claim share in her father's property, during his lifetime. Does the father has right to rufuse to give her any share in the property.

Learning

4 Replies

Rohit Sonavane   30 July 2020

daughter can claim her share in her father's property and during his life time father can refuse if it is self earn.

rakesh (other)     30 July 2020

Thank you very much. Actually my father purchased this property with his self earned money. And he made a registered will in my favor,before his death . So will this be considered as my self earned property or not? 

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     31 July 2020

Originally posted by : rakesh
n a Hindu family, can a married or unmarried daughter, claim share in her father's property, during his lifetime. Does the father has right to rufuse to give her any share in the property.

The answer is affirmative. Daughter has a right in her ancestral property.

Facts of the case have not been disclosed.

Prima facie it is an examination question.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     31 July 2020

The presumption is that the daughter is claiming her rights on the self-acquired property of her father when the fact is that father has written a will and registered will on such self-acquired property in the name of son.    The daughter is not having any rights and she can challenge the will at the most and the chances are very remote.  The son is absolute owner of the property as he acquired such title legally as per registered will. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register