LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Seema (Consultant)     23 December 2011

Damage of cloth by dry cleaner - cosumer right protection


I am curretly in Pune on a buisness trip, I had given one jacket and a suit for dry clean to a local dry cleaner for laundry purposes.

While returning, dry cleaner mentioned there was an acid bottle accidently dropped during dry cleaning on my jacket and the entire jacket is damaged.Similarly on the suit, the entire lining which was in white color ow has patches of red color. I have receipt from the dry cleaner.

Both of these were expensive, Jacket costing 6000 INR purchased in May 2011 in Russia and Suit costing 3800 from Meena Bazzar Delhiin Dec 2011. I have the receipts but these are in Delhi (My base location)

I shall be returning to my base location shortly, Is there anything I can do for my consumer rights, from my base location.


 7 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 December 2011

Please involve some local acquaintance to be your witness and resolve it locally with the shopkeeper, so that shopkeeper gets you a replacement. If your business partners/associates are influential and are willing they can help you. Try and see if you can record your representation to the shopkeeper. If the shopkeeper has admitted the lapse, he can come forward to settle the matter amicably.

Seema (Consultant)     23 December 2011

I have had some discussion with the dry cleaner, but the only offer he has is to get the jacket died up in a color, which is not acceptable to me, I have left the jacket to him

In terms of records, I have receipt but no other record, My cousin who is a localite also had long heated discussion, but that didnt helped.

is there anything I can do

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 December 2011

The offer by shopkeeper is no resolution of course.

You can lodge a police complaint and let your cousin be your witness and representative, for threatening. You must ensure that the complaint is entered in the register by police and obtain acknowledgment with complaint number on copy of your complaint. You should also obtain copy of the statement of both parties.

If you can you may forward the copy of the complaint by email to police commissioner also.

You can lodge a complaint thru a lawyer with consumer forum and your cousin can represent you if required.

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     01 January 2012

file a complaint before consumer forum and claim the price of damaged cloths and compensation towards mental agony and harrasment.You need not to attend  forum on each and every hearing date since the trial lof consumer cases are  in summary nature so  your  presence is not required.

A.VIVEK ADVOCATE (ADVOCATE)     24 January 2012

 i agree with my learnwd friend Mr.Bharteshgoyal.

Shantilal Pandya ( Advocate)     22 February 2012

The question of the  querriest is  not  resolved!  the  question  is  whether    he  can  file  proceeding   at   Delhi  ie  at his base  station !

The answer is in the negative

The District  forum  at  Pune  will have jurisdiction   and not  DELHI 

Nora   30 July 2019

First time feeling so good after listening beneficial news for people here that organization applying strict full rules for the dry cleaners who damage people luxury clothes and in return don't give any penalty. People do hard work just to earn their money in the right way just to buy bomber jacket mens and if they get damaged so really it's painful for them

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query