LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ravi shankar sharma (advocate)     25 October 2010

D. O. B. change in passport

learned members,

i wish to know whether a passport in favour of a minor  issued earlier in 2000 on submission of application form by his father giving d.o.b. of school certificate of 6th/7th standard can now be changed reason being his d.o.b. is changed in high school certificate & onwards.

please suggest me all necessary procedure to get the passport renewed as per high school marksheet now.

if i file a declaration suit and making his father as respondent will work either or not.

Thanks in advance for ur valuable guidance on the issue as above.


R S Sharma



 5 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     25 October 2010

While applying for an Indian passport the applicant should submit his date of birth proof such as birth certificate. On basis of the documents provided the passport is issued; so there will not be any question of change of date of birth in passport. But while issuing a passport the passport authority may make an error in date of birth on passport. It is the applicant’s responsibility to check that the details that are printed on the passport are correct as soon as the passport is issued. It is very rare that the information is printed wrong by the passport issuing authority, but if it happens the applicant can contact the passport officer and request for the change in date of birth. It is also possible that the applicant may find that the date of birth provided by him/her is wrong after the passport is issued. If the error was from passport authority, then a new passport is issued with correct date of birth with out any fee. If the error was from applicant then they charge a fee of Rs. 500 for issuing a new passport with corrected date of birth. Birth Certificate for Passport While applying for Indian passport, you need to specify your Date of Birth in the application form. Proof of Date of Birth The following can be produced along with the application form for proof of date of birth, Birth Certificate issued by a municipal authority or district office of the Registrar of Births & Deaths Date of Birth certificate from the school last attended by the applicant or any other recognized educational institution An affidavit sworn before a Magistrate/Notary stating date of birth by illiterate or semi-illiterate applicants. In case of applicants, born on or after 26-01-89, only birth certificate issued by the municipal authority or the office of registrar of births & deaths is acceptable.

ravi shankar sharma (advocate)     28 October 2010

dear sir,

i would like to tell u more about the same as under:

when the application for renewal was made to passport office while mentioning the changed D O B as per high school marksheet then it was questioned on the basis of earlier DOB mentioned in the passport and further it was suggested by the authority to get the order from the court concerned to this effect.

as i know the DOB can't be changed however problem persists that his all marksheets 10th onwards is of changed DOB not as per earlier passport and also it is not any typographical error. That's why for his good it is essential on part of the passport holder to get the Last DOB for his all purposes.

please suggest me further what to do. 

Thanks a lot for your valuable information in this regard.


R S Sharma,




Attached File : 49 49 passport dob case.pdf downloaded: 1138 times

Simi Salooja (Legal Secretary)     30 October 2014

Thanks Reddy ji... i can use this today... 

Abu Thalha (Law)     05 April 2015

There are a number writ petitions praying for change of DOB.  DOB can be changed on production of proper birth record, for instance a BC.  Move the Passport officer first.  If keeps mum or refuses to carry out the corrections then knock the doors of justice.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register