Ishaan 09 March 2021
There can be various types of unauthorized attempts like -
Application Fraud, electronic card imprint, CNP fraud, counterfeit card fraud, lost card fraud, etc.
Steps to take if credit card is compromised -
1. Firstly inform the cars issuer (bank) about the situation as soon as you get to know about the situation. Delay in this step is to be avoided. Bank should be informed within 3 days. The bank should be asked t block the old card and provide a new one as a replacement.
2. Secondly, the person should lodge a formal complaint with the bank and the concerned authorities with the following documents -
- Bank statement of the concerned account.
- ID and address proof mentioned in the account.
- Make a FIR under section 154 of CrPC.
- send a copy of FIR to bank.
3. change account passwords and PINs immediately and closely check the account activities.
4. All the calls, messages, emails etc should be recorded and reference number should be noted.
5. Statement to be given in the FIR may include - Last authorized transaction, When the unauthorized attempt got noticed, How many unauthorized transactions have taken place and of how much value, location of transactions if possible, and other relevant information.
Provisions concerned -
Sec 66C of IT act, 2000
Sec 66D of IT act, 2000
Sec 468 of IPC
Sec 471 of IPC