LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

nightingale (owner)     02 June 2014

Cursing/threatening emails

a person hacked into my email and forwarded mails to themselves , coincidentally i logged around same time and the person got logged out and since i have keep a copy in my sent folder activated i got a copy of the mails with timing and details left back i changed my password  and all reported the case to police took their acknowledgement too but didn't file and FIR since the person doesn't stay in india. however after some months the lady sent me a mail from her mail id cursing me threatening me and blaming me that i hacked her account (which is a lie), and telling me of dire consequences and of maligning my name in the media too. i didn't do anything about it so far. the lady happens to be  a relative whom i have never met just spoken to once or twice on phone when talking to my relatives family.  i am a female too. and this woman is undergoing a divorce with my relative.  

what i need to know is -- is there a time frame within which i can file an fir? she is out of india so how effective can it be.? what all details would be needed to be kept safe if ever required in future.? what measures shud i take ?

Learning

3 Replies

(Guest)

I guess this is something taken care by Cyber Law and I would be interested in knowing the things as I am not a lawyer. I would recommend you to enable two step security in your account so that no one can hack into your email again as if your computer is infected then it hardly matters even if you change your password thousand times.

Just search how to enable 2 step security in your email provider and you would get that.

Regards

nightingale (owner)     02 June 2014

did tht already thts y she couldnt hack nto the account anymore...instead threatening to malign my name using false allegations

mahendra limaye (Cyber Legal Consultant)     03 June 2014

Time frame is certainly there because the details about mails will be traced by LEA's only if they are retained by service providers.Service providers are mandated to retain the logs only for some specific period. Hence its always good to proceed and file FIR at the earliest.For more discussions call on 09422109619 or mail info@cyberorgindia.com.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register