LAW Courses
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ketan (Finance Consultant)     28 April 2014

Credit card faud and bank's harassment

I stopped payment of a credit card from Standard Charterd bank since August'13, due to some fraudulent transactions. I filed a dispute on some of the transactions . And despite continuous follow up, the dispute is still not resolved.  I asked several times to give me a break up of the undisputed transactions and related charges and disputed transactions and related charges, so that I can pay the undisputed charges, but to no avail.   They kept adding interest and the amount has now increased to 3 times the initial liability.   The dispute is still not resolved and I have been sent some transaction receipts on which there is somebody else's signature.  I sent several mails to bank to revert all the interest and charges since filing of the dispute and I will pay the rest, but to no avail. My CIBIL history is already ruined because of this. Can bank put up a civil case against me in such scenario if I refuse to pay ?  Will the interest and hence my liability keep increasing for ever ? Is it worth fighting a case against bank or should I just ignore the matter, given I am ready to live with a bad credit history ?

 7 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     29 April 2014

1.It is too late now.  

2.It is difficult to distinguish between genuine and fraudulent transaction and it is the card holder that has to make payments to the genuine transactions and file objections for fraudulent transactions with valid reasons.

3.If transactions of fraudulent, Card holder can file protest and file complaint against such Bank in Forum for deficiency of service.  But he can not stop entire payments as it is public money.

What happens in future is at the steps to be initiated by the Bank.  It may sell away such overdue cards to outside agency and one need not explain such consequences.  Legal right is always there for the Bank.  Consult a good advocate and atleast stop further damage.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     29 April 2014

You have posted that:

"I have been sent some transaction receipts on which there is somebody else's signature."

Did you state that signatures are not your's in writing?

The Credit Card Company M/s Standard Chartered Bank has your signature in its record and it can very well compare the signature with naked eye as in banking practice and could have agreed/disagreed that  the signature are yours/not yours in writing.

Credit Card Company M/s Standard Chartered Bank  might have embossed the scanned signature on body of Credit card too, and you must have signed on reverse of Credit Card  hence vendor should have matched signature.


Are these vendors under CCTV surveillance and has bank acquired and seen CCTV footage and have you demanded it?


Has the CC been in your possession before and after  disputed transactions?

If yes how can the CC be swiped and transaction slip be generated?


There are many threads on this bank M/s Standard Chartered Bank. As per publications it shall sell the debt to its ARC M/s Shaha Finlease.

Contact  a lawyer and provide full details to your lawyer so that he is able to defend your interest.


There are many threads on CC and M/s Standard Chartered Bank that you may find relevant e.g.

and others.

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     30 April 2014

You should have filed the case in the month of August 2013 itself when you got doubt about the wrong billing.  The bank will charge the compoundable interest of every month, thus the due amount will mount three to four times of the actual debt.  Once you file the case, you need not worry.  The account of credit card will be stopped and the case will continue, thus there will not be further mounting of interest (as it happened when the credit card was in not payment mode). At the time of judgement of the case, all the charges of undisputed and disputed will be decided.  We are concerned about the damage which happened between August 2013 to till filing of the case.  The interest will go on increasing until you file a civil case against the bank.  Don’t ignore the matter.  You will definitely hit by a bad credit history.  For any further queries contact 7893011777 or

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     01 May 2014

I think you have not  taken proper action as envisaged in law while you detected the fraudulent transactions using your credit card.  Besides intimating your bankers to block the card immediately and also to register a complaint about the alleged fraudulent transaction that took place using your credit card, you should have made yourself available to immediately  pay the dues outstanding against your name for all the genuine transactions that you made using your credit card, simultaneously you should have lodged a complaint with the cyber crime wing of the police about the alleged fraudulent transaction, this action would have helped you to properly defend your case before the court of law in case the bankers intend to file a recovery suit against you.  Check up your status in line with the above.

Ketan (Finance Consultant)     06 May 2014

Thanks for your responses ! Here are some clarifications and updations.

1. I have immediately called bank in August'13 and asked them to block card both on phone with SCB's fraud handling department and to head services in written.

2. I have sent the duly filled dispute resolution form to bank in october'13.

3. I have sent 20-30 mails since then asking for dispute status.

4. I have sent several mails asking for breakup of genuine and suspicious transactions and related charges, so as to enable me pay the genuine liability.

5. Bank took 9 months and sent me receipts which I have denied the authenticity of, in written.


Now my status in CIBIL report is "Written off".

Does writing off means that interest will not increase now ? Can the bank still file case against me ? 

If I pay the bank in full, do they in practice revert the cibil status to Blank ?



Dear Customer,

Kindly provide your contact num to assist you on this.

Please feel free to call or write to us on 8976069758 /

Thanks and Regards

Customer Service

Shaha Finlease Pvt Ltd




Dear Customer,

Please ignore the above mail id.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query