LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jay Chiranjeevi Subbarayuddu D (Student)     17 July 2023

Dvc case after divorce

Namaste, I would like to know if petition can be filed before Trial court instead of Hon'ble High court to dismiss a DVC case filed after obtaining exparte Divorce decree by wife & after settlement(getting permanent alimony via execution petition, not mutual consent). Will Trial court encourage & allow such petition to dismiss DVC in such cases instead of filing quash in Hon'ble High court which is bit more expensive.

As there is no domestic relationship after divorce & settlement, will DVC be dismissed by  powers of Trial court with a petition?

Learning

7 Replies

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     17 July 2023

Initially you may apply to Trial Court and not High Court

1 Like

Jay Chiranjeevi Subbarayuddu D (Student)     17 July 2023

Thank you Sir

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     17 July 2023

DVC is not maintainable if it has been filed after divorce. 

You can file a discharge petition under section 239 cr.p.c before trial court and if necessary you may file a revision or quash petition before high court at later stage. 

1 Like

Jay Chiranjeevi Subbarayuddu D (Student)     21 July 2023

Thank you very much for the advice Sir.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     21 July 2023

You are welcome for the appreciations

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     23 July 2023

With due respect to the view of T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate, I have my reservation on this query. If we look to the definition of aggrieved person as given in Section 2 (a) and Domestic Relationship as given in Section 2 (f) of the DVA 2005, it includes a divorce woman. An act of domestic violence once committed subsequent decree of divorce will not absolve the respondent from the offence committed or deny the benefit to which the aggrieved person is entitled under the DVA 2005, including Section 20, 21, 22, and 23. Thus, I am of the view that decree of divorce will have no effect on the maintainability of the domestic violence case, if the allegations made is a dispute within the province of the DVA 2005, and entitlement to the relief claimed will depend on the proof of such allegations by the aggrieved person.

Jay Chiranjeevi Subbarayuddu D (Student)     31 July 2023

Thank you for the reply. Alleged offence is a decade before the Exparte divorce decree and permanent alimony before Hon'ble court via EP.

But for the sake of knowledge, May I please ask if every aggreived ex-wife can potentially file DVC case in India after divorce & permanent alimony, wouldn't there be millions of cases filed to extort more money because not everyone has mutual agreement done.

Thank you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register