Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

manu (advocate)     05 April 2009

consumer-railways

Sirs/Mams

is the service rendered by railway dept of india falls within the purview of consumer protection act ?

i had travelled by train in a reserved compartment of a train. when i boarded the train my seat was occupied by some unauthorised passengers. though i had ticket in my hand they were not ready to leave the seat. but somehow after lengthy bargaining i was able to secure my seat but it inturn lead to other problems. those unauthorised passengers started forcing me to adjust the seat. i complained the same to the TT. BUT HE WAS ALSO HELPLESS AND SAID IT S THE DAILY ROUTINE IN THE TRAIN .

The condition of toilets and wash bassins was miserable. it was dirty and smelling foul.

i have got the train ticket with me but that only proves that i have travelled by train on the said date. but how to prove the harrassment which i sufferred in the train??? and how can i prove before the consumer forum the pathetic conditions of toilets and wash bassins???

regards

manu

Learning

6 Replies

M. PIRAVI PERUMAL (Advocate & Consumer Rights)     05 April 2009

Yes, you can definitely approach the consumer fora.  If you face such difficulties in future my advise is to  first register your complaint/grievance immediately in writing in the complaints books available with the guard or with the station master at the destination of your journey. There are numerous judgement in favour of consumers in this aspect.

Y V Vishweshwar Rao (Advocate )     05 April 2009

Shri Piravi Perumal opinion is correct ,

it should be reported to Railways Higher Authroities for necessary action in these matters and  to verfy and chek up the situations in the trains

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     07 April 2009

there is a Railway mobile help line no:155210 .

sanjay singh thakur (advocate)     09 April 2009

Dear Manu

Railway passenger is considered consumer and duly covered under the purview of Consumer Protection Act, 1986. Moreover there are innumerable citations on the issue and can be provided when required. Your case is a fit case to be filed before the District Consumer Forum.

Regards.

V.V.RAMDAS (Advocate)     09 April 2009

Dear Manu,

Definitely you are a consumer as per C.P Act and you should file a case before the District Forum. You can file the case at  your starting point or at the ending point  as contemplated in section 11 of the C.PAct. Please file  a case. Onece I was also faced same type of problem and it could not be possible on my part file a case jurisdiction point of view as my place is  even far away from railway trak.(i.e 170Kms).

Prabhat Kumar (Advocate)     10 April 2009

Yes you are consumer as per C.P. act and there is an aparnt deficiency in service. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register