LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shankar (Assoc architect)     09 December 2009

Consumer court vs Civil court

Are there any benefits of going to a civil court instead of consumer court ? While consumer courts have the right to attach property, are the civil courts more powerful in this regard in awarding compensation and generally speaking in ensuring compliance to a verdict ?

There have been cases of non-compliance of verdicts in the consumer courts.

Thanks for the answers.

Learning

10 Replies

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     09 December 2009

Enforcement of Orders of Consumer court include attachment and afetr 3 months of its order and non compliance with it the property attached to be sold, and also include awarding damages as it thinks fit to the complainant. I would rather say that Consumer forum in this matter is much simplier than the civil court.

kranthi kiran (Works In Judicial Department)     09 December 2009

Order of Consumer Forum is enforceable as if it is a Civil Court Decree

vikash gupta (senior advocate)     09 December 2009

Dear I complete law graduation in this year (2009)

i require sugg. in a case

my younger brother doing a course in 3d animation from enigma institue meerut. the complete course fee was rs.76,000/-. and payment terms in installments. we have already paid rs.50,000/- and they are not provided the proper faculty, now they are demand the payment. my brother denied the payment before completion of course. now they are not siting the class to my brother what should we do

raveendran (chief executive)     10 December 2009

Civil courts do not order compensation as the consument courts do. The matters pertaining to some ordinary matters which are tryable in a summary manner alone are brought to the purview of the consumen court. For example if the matters/disputes refered to the consumenr court are complicated, the consumenr court wuold itself will order to approach the civil court. The civil court have vast power to attach property. bring them into sale to satisfy the decretal amount. However, the court fee payable in the civil court is high compared to consumer fora.

S.Raveendran, Advocate, Coimbatore.

Adv ramesh chheda (prop)     12 December 2009

file case of cheating along with dispute in consumer court for damages as well to seek direction to allow u r brother to continue as well to give knowledge to him in respect of missed classes

K. Rajendra Prakash (Advocate)     15 December 2009

Consumer Forum's orders are enforceable as stated above.

Raghav Sood (Lawyer)     19 December 2009

through consumer court is not civil court but it has the trappings of civil court the order passed by consumer court has to be effected or implemented the consumer court can recourse to the modes mention in Order 20 CPC for effective enforement of its order

Parveen Kr. Aggarwal (Advocate)     21 December 2009

Both the civil courts as well as Consumer Fora have been given sufficient powers to enforce and execute their verdicts. It depends on a number of factors as to which forum proves more effective.

shrikant chede (law officer)     11 January 2010

i do agree with parveen

Kanaksinh P.Boda (Educationist/Lawyer)     24 January 2010

The Consumer Forum has a time frame unlike Civil Courts.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register