LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SANJEEV MALHOTRA (MO)     18 May 2011

Consumer Complaint in RTI matter

I filed an RTI Application with prescribed fee to Pulic Information Officer . He has failed to supply requested information even after 45 days of receipt of RTI Application by him .

Can I file a consumer complaint against PIO ?

Is notice mandatory before filing consumer complaint in RTI case ?

Kindly provide / direct me to some decisions in this regard .


 5 Replies

mintu (advocate)     18 May 2011



Yes you can file  a consumer complaint. Even there is a judgment of Hon'ble National Commssion that an RTI Applicant is a consumer. The said jugment is attached herewith.

As per legal provision, no notice is required before filing consumer compliant but it will useful to serve a demand notice.


Attached File : 14280 178269 46 rti applicant consumer by ncdc.doc downloaded: 237 times

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/     20 May 2011

Dear Sanjeev

I am agree with Advocate Mintu about this matter, you can file a compalint against PIO in consumer court, because you are a consumer. no need to given any notice to respondant.

if any other query related to RTI or any Other legal Metter


SANJEEV MALHOTRA (MO)     23 May 2011

Whom to make Respondent ... will it be PIO or the Public Authority through Head of Public Authority ?

mintu (advocate)     24 May 2011

Both since both are responsible for supply / cause to supply the requested information under RTI Act

SANJEEV MALHOTRA (MO)     25 May 2011

thanks for the help .

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register