Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Consequences for court marriage witness.

Hello,

My friends want to marry with each other. Both are of 26 years old and Post graduated.  Boys family is agree with this marriage but problem is that girls mother is agree (father did agree but now he is no more :( ) but her brother and his wife are not agree with marriage and her mother is too old so she cant support her openly.  Now they decided to do court marriage. Boys family supporting them. And I am going as witness for this marriage. So i want to know more about this, is there any consequences of this ?? shall i proceed without any worry?? If there is any problem in that couple after marriage then witness are responsible for anything or not???? 

Learning

2 Replies

fighting back (exec)     18 October 2013

no problem if couple is major, above legal age, no problem for witnesses too. just give a written intimation to the nearest police station within your jurisdiction about the apprehensions, but you will face a lot of resistance from the society, if not legally, keep that in mind, your own marriage might get difficult as people will start talking about you, how you helped in getting an eloped couple get married........remember this is indian society, your own parents will frown on you.  so think before you act..

Samir N (General Queries) (Business)     18 October 2013

You will be responsible for the upbringing of all their children until they attain the age of 45. You will also be responsible for the medical expenses of the marrying couple throughout their life until they remain married or until one of them dies. If they divorce and you are unmarried at that time, the husband may ask you to marry him and you will have to do so. Since you are a witness to this marriage, within 48 hours, if you do not get married yourself, and since I am giving you advice and if I ask you to marry me, you will have to do so. The actual list of obligations is even longer....

Of course, I am joking. You can sign as  a witness to any event that is not in violation of the law or that you know or should have known was not in violation of the law. As long as they are adults, not previously married, etc. I think that you will have no liabilities. I AM NOT AN ADVOCATE but most advocates lack common sense and real knowledge of the law. They will charge you a fat fee for this advice and give you some cock-and-bull story to justify the fees.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register