Upgrad LLM

complaint against neighbor

Sir, my neighbor use to release sewage to the road which is in front of my house, I have requested him so many times but he never listen to me. Please advice me how to file a suit against him.

As per me, Complain to the RERA. and also complain to the Deputy Registrar of Housing Societies of your District against the committee.  




This is a case of neighbour causing a nuisance.

Section 268 of the Indian Penal Code defines nuisance when the person is guilty of a public nuisance when he does any act which causes injury, danger or annoyance to the public or the people in general who live or occupy the property in the neighbourhood.

Punishment of nuisance is defined in Section 290 of IPC, which is mere Rs. 200 but the court can do much more.

In the case, Gulam Husain Mirza vs Laxmidas Premji Alias the court held that any act or omission which has been causing annoyance or damages to any person in the enjoyment of his property is called nuisance and it is actionable.

You also have the option to institute a civil suit against him, under section 91 CPC. You can record your neighbour doing the wrongful act and causing damage or loss or inconvenience or annoyance to you from his wrongful act. Video recording is a good piece of evidence. It is relevant and it is admissible under the Indian evidence act.

I hope this solves your query.




Thank you Sir, Kavksatya Narayana and Sir Archit Uniyal for you valuable advice.
Retired employee.

The road is not yours and the nuisance is not to you and the entire public using the way in any manner or those who may use the land were badly affected and this is a hazard to the public.  Make a complaint to local authorities with such photographs and ask them to take action on war footing basis and if they fail to take any action for 7 days, file RTI Application under life and liberty seeking information on action taken on your complaint, and finally file a consumer complaint in the forum against the Municipality, if you are a taxpayer to that municipality/corporation as it is their responsibility to keep the surroundings of public usage safe and healthy.


You may take up the matter with the local body (Panchayat/Municipality) or the SDO. They are authorised to take appropriate action and to ssue directions.


sir our neighbour makes noise at very high level and use loudspeaker to disturbing. plz give your advice .Thank you

Yes sir, Om Prakash I am from Meghalaya and here in our state we don't have housing society or RERA



Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



CrPC MASTERCLASS!     |    x