LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vikram   06 September 2015

Complaint against bank reg Credit card transaction

Hello everyone, I am using CITI bank credit card. Last week I used to pay a online transaction to a service based company (job portal) for some job packages. Later few hours I came to know that company is a fraudulent company. So, I have requested credit card customer care to hold or cancel the transaction. But they have refused to do it. As they said they don't have any rights for it. Even though that transaction was in pending status onlt at that time. Is there any legal way to file a complaint against this? Why they are not cancelling the pending online transaction? Regards, Vikram.K


 12 Replies

jyotirmaya behera (advocate)     06 September 2015

1st sent a application / mail to the head office of the CITI bank and request them regarding the cancellation of the transaction. If they don’t take any action over your application / mail thereafter you can send them legal notice. Later when you will file consumer case those document will helpful for you.
1 Like

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 September 2015

You should learn from this incidence and in future obtain complaint number from CCE and record the calls (remember the call center records all calls), send email or letter or fax and obtain the acknowledgment……………………………………..and also take the screenshot showing the status (pending as posted by you).

Remember the evidence alone shall rescue you.

M/s CITI bank as per latest understanding from cases have been declining to give the name/address/details/email id/phone number of their Head of India CC –operations and have been diverting to CCE, grievance redressal teams. Remember any employee posted in any dept. shall defend his/her employment and interest of the employer or shall be subjected to misconduct/violation of employer’s internal/private policies.

As per various publications M/s CITI Bank has been involved in indiscretions/transgressions and has been penalized by lawful authorities and courts.

You must send them a fitting communications in writing under proper acknowledgment for use at appropriate time in appropriate forum.

Amol Kende (No)     07 September 2015

You can go through the Conumer court and grevance redressal system for fast result...

Vikram   07 October 2015

Thanks everyone for your support.

PFB reply mail communication between me & CITI bank customer care,

Hello CITI Bank,
Any how that transaction has been made by me, also I have requested with in few hours to cancel the transaction which was in pending status.
The same authorized person (Me) is asking to cancel the transaction because the amount is going to pay by me.
If I am using credit card to buy something, I am having rights to stop the unwanted purchase.
Why you are refusing to cancel the transaction which was in pending status?
Don't we have any Act like Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA) in India.
Bank is a medium which I am using for my account transactions and I am paying for its services.
Now Rs.15000 is  a big loss for me. That fraud merchant refusing to refund the amount.
Charge back is a protection offered by credit card companies allowing users to cancel their purchase if they are unhappy with the product or services. In case of a charge back request the banks will reverse the amount billed on the credit card and not pay the same to the merchant. Charge back safeguards consumers interest for any faulty purchase, claims must be filed within 180 days of the purchase date.
From CITI Bank
Dear Mr. Vikram,

This is with reference to your email dated September 16, 2015 with regard to the disputes on the transactions totaling to Rs.13,797/- incurred on your Citibank credit card ending 0594 at M/s Naukri.

We confirm having addressed your concern in detail vide our email dated September 11, 2015.  We wish to reiterate the following in this regard.

As per the process, upon receipt of a valid debit advice through a member bank of the Visa Master Card association, we are obliged to pay the acquiring bank/merchant. This charge is subsequently billed to the card account.  Accordingly, the above mentioned transactions were approved and billed to your card account. As the transactions were already approved, we were unable to cancel the same.

The transactions disputed by you were secured transactions done by validating the Internet Banking Password (IPIN), which is confidential and known only to the customer. We draw your reference to the below extract from the Card member Terms and Conditions under clause 20


20.        Disputes

20.4  Transactions, where the Card is not physically required, which are duly authorized by the Cardmember by use of the Cardmember’s Telephone Personal Identification Number (TPIN) or Internet Personal Identification Number (IPIN) or through any alternative authentication methods as prescribed by the Bank, such transactions are deemed to be valid transactions.


Hence, as per card association guidelines we do not have charge back rights and we regret our inability to reverse the transaction.

In the event you have cancelled the transaction with the merchant, kindly revert to us with the cancellation proof and merchant confirmation on refund for us to initiate a dispute investigation with the concerned member bank.

With regard to your specific concern on Fair Credit Billing Act, we wish to clarify that the same is not applicable in India.  


Further shall I raise complaint with Ombudsman & Consumer court, is there any possibilities to charge back my Amount?





Kumar Doab (FIN)     07 October 2015

Did you cnacell the transaction with M/s Naukri? If yes you may forward the same to M/s Citibank.

M/s Citibank has expressed its inability to cancell citing its internal and private agreement with Visa Master Card association and card association guidelines................

The question arises if this private agreement (with foreign Visa Master Card association) and private card association private/internal  guidelines shall prevail upon customer's rights in India?


You may show everything to able lawyer specializing in Credit/Debit cards,consumer cases in India.

You can also check with RBI branch dealing in Credit Card disputes and also pursue thru RTI with RBI and obtain confirmation. The RBI guidelines shall prevail upon any private policy of the bank.


You can download the address etc from another thread or RBI website:



Smt. Uma Subramaniam
Chief General Manager -in-Charge
Department of Non-Banking Supervision
Central Office
Centre I, World Trade Centre, Cuffe Parade
Mumbai-400 005.

Phone: 022-22153350

Email id:


( DNBS:  Dept. of Non banking Services)



Reserve Bank of India
Central Office Building
18th Floor, Shahid Bhagat Singh Road
Mumbai-400 001.





1 Like

Vikram   07 October 2015

I have sent a mail communication to M/S NowNaukri to cancel the order, but they are not replying back anything, even they are not ready to contact me after the payment.


Kumar Doab (FIN)     07 October 2015

M/s Citibank has requested you to send your email/cancellation.

Did you send it to M/s Citibank.


You may show everything to able lawyer specializing in Credit/Debit cards,consumer cases in India.

1 Like

Vikram   07 October 2015

They were asking the confirmation mail from M/S. Nownaukri, as the merchant is a fraudulent he is not showing any attention about my order cancellation. Even he is not providing any service for the package purchased.

In the event you have cancelled the transaction with the merchant, kindly revert to us with the cancellation proof and merchant confirmation on refund for us to initiate a dispute investigation with the concerned member bank.



Kumar Doab (FIN)     07 October 2015

Your order to cancell is proof and confirmation of cancellation by you and you could have sent it to M/s Citibank..

If M/s NowNaukri is not even acnowledging, lodge police complaint of fruad and also consumer complaint in DCDRF.


Vikram   07 October 2015

Alright I will raise a complaint against the company.

Vikram   07 October 2015

Inbetween shall I pay the amount to M/S.CITI bank for safer side, otherwise they might add the monthly interest for the payment.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     07 October 2015

Consult your able lawyer and seek guidance. Your counsel may opine to Pay under written protest. Attach a letter and obtain acknowedgment with seal and signature with date.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query