LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Hitya   04 March 2020

College scam

Can I apply for the UPSC exam if a case is filed against me? Case is about the scam in our college which is happened 7yrs back, there is about more than 1000s students in that scam from different colleges case is not for only me. The case is still pending in the court. Is this major issue for appearing in exam or what will be the consequences after the selection? After this, i have left that college and staring my new carrier new degree. My degree is no more related to that of scam. Is there still a big issue?

Learning

2 Replies

Archit Uniyal   02 April 2020

Hi,

Giving the exam for you won’t be a big issue but what happens after that is the real question as Before appointment a thorough police verification of the candidate is done. If he or she has any police record candidature is straight away rejected. It also depends on the seriousness of the crime.

Supreme Court in the year 2011, in the case “State Of West Bengal & Ors. Vs. Nazrul Islam” gave a judgment that a person to be eligible for a government seat person should not have any court charges or criminal records or person must be acquitted from it by court.  They further said that “Person facing criminal cases cannot be considered suitable for appointment in government service”.

But if it is a private criminal complaint case in court(under section 200 CrPC)then it will be no problem to get the Government employment.

Also Rai, A rape convict who cleared the civil services examination while serving his sentence, has won partial relief from the Delhi High Court in 2011. The division bench claimed that this decision was taken as they think he had "redeemed himself in jail'' by qualifying for the top job.

I hope this solves your query.

Regards,

Archit.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     15 April 2020

how were you connected to scam.

any FIR on you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register