IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nischal   07 January 2017

Claim money credited twice.

Its very hard to digest that they have passed the claim minumum 2-3 persons approve a claim then only it is forwarded for credit in benificariy account .

I am not convinced by their message i need more clarification i guess what should i ask?

what if i deny too return the amount ?

I got this mail:

We refer to the death claim submitted under Life Time policy number 00000 issued on life of Mr x.


In this connection, we state that the above stated policy was issued by the Company on October , 2002 for a Base sum assured of Rs x and Accidental Death Benefit Rider (ADBR) sum assured of Rs x which would be payable in case of death due to accident.


As per the documents submitted at claim stage, the Life Assured died on October , 2016 due to “Multi-Organ Dysfunction Syndrome”. Accordingly, the claim was assessed by the Company and was decided for settlement of the claim benefit towards the base sum assured of Rs x/- . The said claim amount was accordingly paid via NEFT on December , 2016 in your bank account number xxxxxxxxx held with State Bank of India.


Sir, the cause of death was non-accidental and hence benefit of ADBR was not applicable. However due to an internal (system) error, ADBR sum assured amounting to Rs x was erroneously paid in the above stated bank account number on December 09, 2016.


Since an excess amount of Rs x has been erroneously paid towards ABDR which is not applicable, we request you to refund the said amount to the Company via cheque favoring ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company Ltd.


As discussed with your son  on January 02, 2017, you may submit the cheque at any of our ICICI Prudential Branch office near you or let us know a convenient time and address for having the collected from you.


We appreciate your cooperation and support extended.


Please do let me know in case you require any clarification.


 1 Replies

Adv. K.S.A.Narasimha Rao (legalquestadvisor@gmail.com )     07 January 2017

Dear Nischal,

Sometimes mistakes happen due to work stress for the companies. as per entitlement, you have been paid with the money for death. but by mistake your account was also credited with the ABDR money, which you are not entitled to.

In this case, the Company may issue a notice to you for refund of such wrongly credited amount. 

if you have not paid it voluntarily, they can file a criminal complaint for non-refunding the public money as well as Civil Suit for recovery of money with interest.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query