LAW Courses
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mahesh Kumar (Na)     18 December 2011

Christian and hindu marriages

I am a Hindu and my girl friend is christian. If she converted to Hindu, can I register the marriage according to "Hindu Marriage Act" ? If so what is the procedure to get her converted to Hindu legally? 

If married under The Special Marriage Act (1954), what would be the religion of the Kids.

 4 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     19 December 2011

After conv ersion if you get married then it can be regd., under the hindu marriage act.  

If not and regd., under the special marriage act.   The religion of the kids depends on you both.

1 Like


Dear Mr.Mahesh Kumar,

If you wants to marry under the Hindu Marriage Act , it is imperative for your girl friend to become a Hindu.  In short, both of you must adopt either Hindu or Christian faith before marriage under either of the religious rites. Marriage between a Hindu and Christian under the Hindu Marriage Act is invalid and null.  Even the children born out of such a union will have to face legal hitches.  Therefore, it is better for both of you to adopt a single religion before marriage under the respective law.

1 Like

manoj joshi (advocate LEGAL ADVISOR AT IDBI BANK)     27 January 2012

dear friend

according to your quary u can do intercaste marriage and registered in under special marriage act

after marriage wife will get religion of his husband so as there children

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     27 January 2012

rightly advised by A.A. JOSE BARODA sir.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query