Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Surender   06 December 2022

Choosing a different surname for the children than their father’s

The surname was spelt incorrectly in my 10th memorandum. I didn't know the impact of it at that moment. Hence, the same incorrect surname was used on all of my academic, financial and identity documents (ex.Passport, Visa & Aadhaar).

On my children, I would like their surnames to be correct.

Correct surname is VATTIKUTI

My surname is VATIKUTI which misses a single char 'T'

In order to avoid any unforeseen consequences, I would like your advice on naming my 3 month old children.

Thanks a lot in advance.



 6 Replies

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     06 December 2022

it is advised to keep your child's surname same as that of yours.

Shashi Dhara   06 December 2022

Keep vattikuti which is correct surname to your child ,you contact notary advocate and swear affidavit in court about mistake and publish it in newspaper and keep it as proof.

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     06 December 2022

Why repeated???????????????????????????

Surender   06 December 2022

Thanks for your advice.

As I'm not sure about forum category and subcategory, so I posted it on two places.


Adv. Shrey Shah (Advocate)     07 December 2022

Keep the name of the child same as yours. However, if you still would like to change, then it will be necessary to change yours as well. But it will be complex and unnecessary headache for you.

Surender   22 December 2022

Hello Experts,

I appreciate all the information you provided.

While there have been mixed opinions, the majority of experts advised to keep the children's surname as mine.

Thank you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query