Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kavitha Menon (Others)     25 November 2015

Child taking maternal name during separation

Dear Law Experts:

I am separated single mother of a child of 4 yrs age, and was married for seven years with a Sikh individual. Married in Amravati; first in South Indian (Kerala) tradition and then in Punjabi ritual at Gurudwara.

Marriage gave us a son, now 4 year old.  In my culture (from Kerala) the children take their maternal name; however, post delivery the father filled out and registered the birth certificate with the name of his choice without my consent or knowledge.

We have been separated for 3 years now and the case is still pending before the court. I have hence given my last name to my son in his school records. I haven’t yet made any changes in the Birth Certificate because I am yet attain the divorce.

Post separation I have been bearing all the expenses as a single parent for my Son’s education and daily needs along with entire household expenses as well as a huge EMI of a  housing loan, with no financial support or contribution from the father in any way.

The father is least interested in contributing financially towards the needs of his growing son. Although the court has ruled that he pay the maintenance for his son and take up the responsibility as a father, he has not contributed in any way ever. He was given his first child access this month after clearing his dues. But he has refused to bear the school expenses and has not yet started paying monthly maintenance on a regular basis.

I had to explain the entire situation to the school authorities and had to plead the school authorities to grant admission to my son for his better future assuring them that there will be no concern or issue raised by the father as he was least interested in anything to do with his son. Upon this assurance the school admitted my son in their institution. The father has neither visited the school for any event nor had he shown any inclination to do so. He has not even taken any interest in my son’s progress at school nor has he attended any parent-teacher meeting.

Suddenly last week he visited the school and started to ask for my son’s records and started taking objection on the last name that was registered in the maternal name as per the south Indian custom. I was called to the school to discuss the matter with the authorities who pointed out that such an incident was questionable. This kind of reckless and un-thoughtful action has put my son’s education and a bright future in jeopardy as the school reserves the right to not allow my son to continue next year, as the school does not want to be held responsible or be highlighted publicly due to such incident.

As the decree of divorce is still pending with the court and the father completely ignorant and casual about the future of my child, with no contribution at all, I fear for the safety and security of my child as well. That individual could simply walk into any establishment and declare himself the father and could simply pick up my son and walk away too. The father is only concerned so far about his family ‘last name’ to be given to the son as a sign of true Sikh and show off but for whom he is least bothered otherwise.

My Son is a happy child and a very bright kid, above average than the kids of his age. I, as a single working mother of this lovely child want the best for him in every possible way. I seek legal advice so that my son could continue using the maternal name and continue his education and lead a life that he is Now used to; without his father around to take care of him.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Regards,

KVE

Learning

6 Replies

Shruthi (n/a)     25 November 2015

Pls take restraining order from Court, otherwise you can not stop your husbands meddling in your affairs.... Do get Court order immediately... But judging by your narrative, there is a bleak chance of Court passing restraining order based on such things .....

Sorry but such is life ......

Hi Shruthi:

Thank you for replying. I've already initiated the process to get a restraining order.

Regards,

KVE

Born Fighter (xxx)     25 November 2015

Kavitaji, from your post it appears you OWN the child and just want the father to contribute money andr refrain  from any matters related to the child. However you are claiming maintenance from him ........how about taking the childs expenses entirely on your own, take custody of the child and asking husband to give divorce?? 

Put this across to your husband and you will know the real intentions of your husband and whether he cares for the child or not. 

If the answer is NO then please introspect......you are voluntarily taking decisions on behalf of your child by citing kerala rituals etc etc.......if that was the case then why did you get married in the first place to a person outside your religion? You seem to have not objected when the husband took out the childs birthcertificate in his surname....but since after seperation you have started using your maternal surname for the child to claim ownership of the child.

"Ek hath lo aur ek hath do"

Your husband is not contributing towards the child maintenance due to 2 reasons. 

1. He is not getting any rights as a father. He seems to be treated like an ATM Machine 
  2. He doesnt bother for the child as the marriage is over

Personally i feel he should contribute whatever may be the conflict between both of you

Pls remember the child needs both the parents for a proper upbringing. You can take him away from the father by law but the child will crave for the love of his father as he grows up. 

Rather than taking steps legally, speak to your husband with the help of elders or thru intervention of counsellors and find out how best you both can reach a mutual settlement for the benefit of the child and move ahead in life ......

Wow born fighter! Interesting version! He wud never even hold his own child! He didn't even buy a diaperfor his child! I went alone to all vaccinations paid from my pocket! He never had time or money to dpend! Think before you point fingers without knowing people! Don't judge me! You have no idea what I have gone through!  He wudn't contribute a penny to the household other than the partial payment of emi but I had to bear everything!  I wud go on a bike to work even when I waz 7 month pregnant! Thank you! I adked for legal help not your judgement of me! 

Kavitha Menon (Others)     26 November 2015

Hi Yentede Banta:

Thank you for your reply. However, trust me am not at all emotional about it. But why can't a mother have the freedom to name her child with her last name. Isn't my husband's last name his father's last name? So, according to Indian Family Law it's ok for a father to use his father's name after his son but a mother can't use her father's last name? How fair is this? This is hypocrisy! 

Regards,

KVE

Born Fighter (xxx)     28 November 2015

Kavitaji, it seems you have not read my reply carefully. If you have an open mind and read it again you will understand as im not supporting your husbands stand on not paying for child maintenance.

However i once again request you to find out an amicable solution or settlement keeping the childs good future in mind. What you both are doing is using the child to settle personal scores.

All the Best !

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register