Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

lakshmi (law officer)     05 August 2011

Cheque bounce

Dear All,

I have taken a cheque bounce case,my client is native of mysore,

My client is having a corporate and registered office in bangalore.

and issued some material to comibtor based company against posted chque.

now cheque has bounced we want to file a suit against the party.

mean while my client has met with a accedit and he was advised bed rest from more than 3 months.

so can i file a case from mysore? (if so under which section and act)

is it neccessare to file a case from bangalore only? (if so under which section and act)

pls guid me as becuase i am newly practicing.

Learning

4 Replies

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     05 August 2011

You can file case from Bangalore and if the client is co than they can give POA in favor of any body.

yadagiri (LL.M)     05 August 2011

The Cheque is issued infavour of ur clients company, u take authorisation to represent on behalf of the  comapany and filed the case under section 138 & 142 of N.I. Act, if the cheque is issued infavour of ur clients name u can file a criminal case through private complainat under section 420 & 406 of I.P.C. 

THANKACHAN V P (Advocate & Notary)     05 August 2011

2003 (1) KLT SN  66 (C.No. 94) Guj.

Hon'ble Mr. Justice D.H. Waghela

Chemox Laboratories Ltd. v. Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilisers Co. Ltd.

M.C.A. No.3934 of 1999 

Criminal P.C. 1973, S.178(d) -- Negotiable Instruments Act 1881, Ss.138 &141 - Question of territorial jurisdiction of court in prosecution for bouncing of cheque - Proceedings can be filed at any of the locations where any one of five acts as described by Supreme Court had taken place - It is for the complainant to choose the court at any of the permissible locations.

The offence under S.138 of the Act can be completed only with the concatenation of a number of acts. The following are the acts which are components of the said offence : (1) drawing of the cheque, (2) presentation of the cheque to the bank, (3) returning the cheque unpaid by the drawee bank, (4) giving notice in writing to the drawer of the cheque demanding payment of the cheque amount, (5) failure of the drawer to make payment within 15 days of the receipt of the notice. If the five different acts were done in five different localities any one of the Courts exercising jurisdiction in one of the five local areas can become the place of trial for the offence under S. 138 of the Act. In other words, the complainant can choose any one of those Courts having jurisdiction over any one of the local areas within the territorial limits of which any one of those five acts was done. As the amplitude stands so widened and so expensive,it is an idle exercise to raise jurisdictional question regarding the offence under S.138 of the Act.

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     06 August 2011

The concept of jurisdiction has been developed by the SC in recent cases , pl go through the mos favour HERMMAN CASE in the matter.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register