LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


Changing my name

Respected experts, 

I'm from Andhra Pradesh. I'm thinking to change my name as it so long and is in abbreviated form. My name is like "S T H Mano..." in all my educational certificates, where as it is fully written without abbreviations in my passport. If I plan to study masters in abroad, would this be a problem? What is the procedure in Andhra Pradesh to shorten my name i.e. removing all those abbreviations? I want to keep my name simple. Once I changed my name legally, is it also possible to change my name in all educational certificates? Can 10th CBSE marksheet be updated with my name? Also can I update my AP 12th marksheet (BIEAP) according to my new name? Please help.


 5 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     17 June 2024

If you want to change your name, you may have to follow the change of name procedure by affirming the contents through an affidavit, duly notarised, getting it published in local newspapaer and then getting it published in the Government gazette publication too.

You cannot get your name changed in the educational certificates, but you will henceforth be known by the changed name hence you can always keep the copy of the gazette publication alongwith your certificates. 

1 Like

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     18 June 2024

Get the State gazzette published as per procedure. If you feel unable to get it done yourself you may seek professional services of a local prudent lawyer.

1 Like


Thank you for your kind reply sir. I'm planning to go abroad for my further studies, wouldn't be a problem if I didn't change my name in educational certificates?

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     18 June 2024

Whether the changing the name or not it should not affect your further studies in foreign country.

You are the person to decide about by what name you are to be known henceforth and take action accordingly 

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     19 June 2024

There is no legal, social, financial, emotional or academic requirement to change (to be abbreviated name) your name for higher studies abroad, as I feel.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register