LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Devender Singh   25 December 2021

changing case title of my civil suit

Yesterday I filed a civil suit for partition of my land share under section 39 and included Name of 17 share holders . by misunderstanding my lawyer framed the case title against our close friend Mr 'A' and others where as it should be against miscreant Mr ' B' and others. case number is generated on line and we noticed the mistake. Now Mr 'A' is annoyed.
Can we make changes in case title or have to withdraw it and re- submit a fresh case.what is the right solution.

Learning

3 Replies

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)     25 December 2021

Dear Mr Singh, 

It would depend on the level of mistake. If only the memo of parties is wrong then simply file Application to amend the Memo of Parties under Order 1 Rule 10. 

If the pleadings are also wrong i.e. in the suit instead of Mr B you have written Mr A, then withdraw and file again. Because if the pleadings are wrong you will not only be required to file application for amendment of parties but also amendment of pleadings. This would make the suit unncessarily complex. Please note at the time of withdrawal, seek an order from the court that court fee already paid be adjusted in the new suit. So that there is no trouble with the registry while re-filing. 

Regards

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)

District & Session Court, Chandigarh

Punjab & Haryana High Court, at Chandigarh

Disclaimer:- Opinion is only for guidance. 

Devender Singh   26 December 2021

thanks Shubham sir for your response...I decided to withdraw my suit so that we can make necessary changes and refile it after few days but my lawyer says then there will be a problem to file a similar suit under same section. The suit is valued for Rs. 350/- and court fee of Rs. 25+50 ie 75/- is fixed so not a big issue but as you say there may be a problem with registry while refiling. kindly clarify. Thanks and regards

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)     26 December 2021

Dear Mr Singh

There will be no legal impendiment with re filing because res- judicata will not apply where suit was withdrawn. Res-judicata will only apply where suit is decided on merits.

Regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register