25% OFF on all LCI Courses. Offer valid till 5th Oct. Use Code: DUS25
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sivakumar (engineer)     09 April 2009

change of sirname

Hi sir,

My mother is married and she seperated from her husband ,later she dont want to carry his sirname to for the chils ,she used her sirname for the child,later she married some otehr person whose caste is different,now he is taking care of that child(male) is it possible to change the sir name of the child to second husband's sirname ,now the son is married and he want to carry the second fathers sirname for her wife also ,is it possible

regards sivakumar







 5 Replies

Y V Vishweshwar Rao (Advocate )     09 April 2009

Surname is the the family name in which he born . Unless and untill a boy is legally adopted in to another family-with deferent surname , the surname can not be changed  . Name  of the  person can be changed at his request by GO Notificatiosn ets  ,but the Surname will continue ,the desire or whish of the  mother(son)  to continue  second  husband's surname is not  proer

sreedhar (advocate)     09 April 2009


As Mr. Rao said surname is a family name. You submit your application in the Dept. of stationery and printing in your state along with prescribed fee for change of name. They will publish in the gazette.



Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     10 April 2009

keeping a sirname is not a legal compulsion. so there can not be any legal bar on changing the sir name. the problem that may arise after change of sir name is regarding verification of name and identity and for that purpose there should be proper declaration and certification of changes.

Y V Vishweshwar Rao (Advocate )     16 April 2009

Mr Thripati  you are correct if the person does not want to continue with his original  family / Surname , but change of sirname/family  can not give any rights in the  new family as mentioned in the Query of  Mr Shiva Kumar

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     16 April 2009

Dear rao ! mr. shiv kumar's query is about change of sirname only. he has not asked about other rights. however change of sirame or keeping old sirname  makes no diference on property rights.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query