LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raviprasada Barebettu   28 November 2021

Change of name in birth certificate in mumbai


I have changed my minor daughter's name. The relevant documents such as news paper advertisements, Central Gazette notification and Aaahar card with the new name is already done. I would like to update her birth certificate (issued by BMC) with the new name. Could you please help me with the procedure?

Thanks, Ravi


 4 Replies

Anaita Vas   29 November 2021

Step 1: Obtain 'Birth Certificate Update/correction Form' the municipal corporation office or gram panchayat where your child took birth.

Step 2: Obtain an affidavit from local notary and approach the officer regarding change of name in the birth certificate. Make an affidavit on a non-judicial stamp paper of minimal and mention the reason of name change.

Step 3: Fill the correction form and submit it to the municipal corporation along with affidavit or certified copy with judge original signature.

Step 4: After the completion of the application process, publish the advertisement in the local newspaper and your state official Gazette publication.



Anaita Vas

Raviprasada Barebettu   30 November 2021

Thank you Ms. Anaita Vas for your response. Is this process applicable to BMC as well? When I spoke to few agents who deal with birth certifcate update/correction in Mumbai, they mentioned that Child's surname can't be changed. Appreciate your inputs.

dhananjay rtc   18 January 2022

Shashank Srivastava   16 June 2022

You can read this blog of name change procedure:  https://www.edrafter.in/name-change-procedure/

and if you want to change the name online without visiting personally you can visit:


They will help you with procedures at a low cost.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register