LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ASP (AM)     07 November 2012

Change of mothers name on childs birth certificate


At the time of delivery, my maiden name was entered in the hospital records. Hence, my daughter's birth certificate reflects my maiden name. I want to get this changed to my name post marriage. I approached the MCD office where the birth certificate was issued. They asked us get the name corrected in the hospital records. Is this required or are corrections possible through affadavits.






 3 Replies

Rahul Kapoor (Legal Enthusiast)     07 November 2012


In case you wish to change your name, that also includes your father's/mother's name (!!) or even Surname you have to follow a very simple procedure.


Go to the State Government Press in the Capital City of your state.


Ask them for the form for change of name and obtain it.


Fill up the form and submit it (preferably then and there).


Pay the requisite Fees in cash. 


The Press would publish the details of the change of your name (or father's/mother's name, or surname as be your case) and post you two copies of the Government Gazette or ask you to collect the same. The press would also let you know when they would publish the same.


Thereafter wherever you wish to submit your change of Name / Father's/mother's Name / Surname Proof, you can submit true copies of the relevant pages of the Gazette.

The procedure is adopted for the change in the date of birth and age and even for a change of religion.





Nikhil (TL)     11 August 2013

Hi ,


My name is Nikhil and the same thing happened with me as well. The hospital recorded my wife's maiden( before marriage name) in my baby's birth certificate which I need to get changed to her name post marriage.

Can you please let me know what steps did you take to get it corrected and whether it worked fine?





bharti (emplyee)     17 December 2014

Hi My name is Bharti

I my Case, In My Child's Birth certificate My name is entered as Priya that is My Home Name. But as per My Official documents its Bharti. I want to get it changed in Birth Certificate of my child. Please suggest any solution on urgent basis.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register