Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sanam (self emp)     02 March 2013

Change of date of registration on birth certificate

Hi there,

I have an issue regarding the year of registration on my BC. First of all let me start by saying that my BC was recently issued by court as I was not able to find mine. I was born in 1958 and at that time there was no registration system. Plus I was born at home not hospital. i tried my best to search for previous records all i could find is my school certificates which mentioned my date of birth. I hired an attorney and he did the needful by getting the court to issue a new BC for me. 

Now my real concern is that I recently found out that my mother is a former portuguese citizen and I could be entitled for citizenship as an adult child. So I got all the necessary documents needed to file my registration in portugal. Unfortunately, according to portuguese Nationality law, an adult child can only be entitled for citizenship if and only if the child's birth has been registered by his/her parents before the child turns 18! So according to that my recent issued BC mentions the date of registration as 19/9/2012 instead of my actual birth date i.e19/9/1958. This will actually deny my application for the citizenship! Is there a way out to request court to grant permission to change the YEAR? Can this be done? 
P.S: Both my parents are dead and none of my siblings have any of their births ever registered by my parents as all were born at home!

Please help!
Many thanks
Sanam

Learning

3 Replies

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     02 March 2013

date of registraion means the year and date you dricth certificate is issued 

Yes! That is exactly what I am talking about. Based on the change of registration date especially the year, I will be able to satisfy the clause of nationality law of Portugal, as that will prove that was registered as a child by my mother/father before turning 18. Can this be done? Is there a way? Please help! 

To explain myself, the new birth certificate format has 2 fields, one is the date of registration and the second is date of issue. I want to change the DATE OF REGISTRATION which currently on my new birth certificate issued by court is 19/9/2012 to 19/9/1958. The date of issue is always the date when the certificate is issued which is not concern to me. By changing the year in date of registration from 2012 to 1958 I can prove that I had a relationship with my mother, and this satisfies the clause for the portuguese nationality law. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register