LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prashant Patel   16 December 2021

Change of bride address in marriage certificate

I am Indian citizen in from Gujarat. My wife is USA citizen born in Gujarat. We get married this Feb 2021 in Gujarat.

While registering for marriage, mistakenly we mentioned Indian address for bride's address in marriage certificate. Certificate is issued by Gram panchayat of the village.
Now, I want to change marriage certificate with her USA address.

Because without her USA address our marriage certificate might not be valid for making an immigration file for me.

So, my query is how can I get change my marriage certificate with bride's address changed. Is is possible? How?

Thanks for your valuable inputs. Please guide me.


 4 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     16 December 2021

Yes.  You can apply for change of address of your wife in Gram Panchayat or online the website of e-Nagar Gujarat.

Prashant Patel   16 December 2021

Thank you for your reply. 

But I have registered on e-Nagar wesbite and I can't locate ULB to find out my registration.

Do e-Nagar provides only nagar palika registration services not including gram panchayat registrations?

Further, I couldn't find any option to apply for correction.

Can you please guide me further.

Attached File : 828212 20211216232152 1.jpg downloaded: 26 times

Aryan Raj   17 December 2021

In response to your query,

The adjustments made by the issuing authority can be obtained. The Registrar of Marriages, where your marriage was registered, would be the issuing authority.

To have the modifications rectified and a new certificate issued to you, you must submit an application to the Registrar of Marriages with copies of the appropriate papers to substantiate the proper address.

If your marriage certificate was issued by a local government entity, such as a municipality or a municipal corporation, you can request a rectification and re-issuance of the document from the appropriate office.


Aryan Raj 


Kawmini Liyanage   20 December 2021


According to what you have mentioned above, the necessity of amending the wife's address arises with regard to applying for Visa. there is a controversy about accepting/ validity of gram panchayat marriage registration for Visa purposes. Hence, the best option is to register your marriage through the e-Nagar official portal of the Gujarat government: https://enagar.gujarat.gov.in/DIGIGOV/

Or else, Go to the Registrar's Office and register it with the necessary documents. They will issue a Marriage Certificate, accepted for the Visa.

Marriage Registration Certificate is needed as proof of marriage in foreign embassies in India and foreign countries outside India. While applying for Spouse VISA, the foreign Embassies ask for Marriage Registration Certificate.


Kawmini Liyanage.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register