Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ramesh Iyer (IT)     24 November 2012

Change of address update & documentation without lease

Dear Sir / Madam,

I have recently moved into a relative's house in Mumbai from a rented house. However, since the house belongs to a close relative, I have no leave & license agreement to show as proof of address for official purposes. I need to intimate Banks and other institutions where I have my previous residence address registered as contact address. Hence, in the absence of a format documentation (between me and my close relative) is there a way I can get my address updated with Banks and other places ?

Seek advise from learned and experienced professionals. Thank you.

Regards,

Ramesh

Learning

6 Replies

Nandagopal Rao (Retainer)     24 November 2012

Try obtaining of letter from your relative stating that they have permitted you to occupy the house being your relative OR NOC from them addressed to concerned agency stating that they have no objection to open bank account (for example) on the address .............  

However, it would be advisable to have a written agreement of Leave & Licence for records purpose.

Ramesh Iyer (IT)     25 November 2012

Well, I would like to clarify that I am staying WITH my sister's family in Mumbai. While I can get a letter from my sister addressed to concerned institutions, obviously I am not staying on leave & license basis so no question of L & L Agreement document. Also, I do not intend availing of any NEW services, such as opening of a Bank a/c. Just that I need to have the existing relationships with Banks and other institutions updated with my current and correct contact address. As mentioned earlier, I have already vacated my rented house last month, and hence my previous address registered with Banks etc. is no longer valid.

As per KYC guidelines of Banks and other institutions, one is supposed to intimate them in case of change of address or other important changes at one's end. Unfortunately, most places I enquired with have refused to accept a letter from my sister as a valid proof of address document. 

P.S. :- Can a notarized affidavit act as a valid proof of address document ?

Nandagopal Rao (Retainer)     26 November 2012

Affidavit cannot be a proof of address.  It may only serve to confirm that you are presently staying in the address, but it is not a proof of address.  Since you intention is only to iform the bank about your current address, you may write letter supprted with affidavit.  I doubt if they accept, since most of the authorities now insist for proof of address such as Licence Agreement with owner etc.

Ramesh Iyer (IT)     26 November 2012

Thanks for your responses Mr. Rao. However, I feel the Banks and other institutions should consider the circumstances of the case and then use their discretion in such cases. I am a bachelor and have a transferable job. At times I come to Mumbai on 6 months - 1 year on projects. While in Mumbai, I prefer to live with my sister's family, who has been a resident of Mumbai for over 20 years. I don't understand why Banks etc. can't accept her NOC letter (and her passport &/ PAN Card copy as her proof of address) in support of my contact address. I feel in such cases, the Banks etc. should consider the circumstances and use their discretion, instead of declining to accept anything except their standard documentary proof. Laws and rules are made for the convenience of citizens not to harass them. I wish we had a more sensible legal and bureaucratic system !!

Nandagopal Rao (Retainer)     26 November 2012

Dear Ramesh,

As you question why Bank's won't accept her passport/her Id etc., its because its her address proof and not yours.  You may be her relative.  But does her Ration Card show your name there as family member?  Therefore, there should be some sort of document showing that you are staying in her flat.  Now-a-days banks are very much careful to identify its customers because of cyber crimes.  Hence they have devolved the system of KYC.

Ramesh Iyer (IT)     26 November 2012

Dear Mr. Rao,

I forgot to mention that many years back I used to stay with my sister's family so my name does appear in their Ration Card, which incidentally also shows the present address. However, for some reason, Banks etc. have stopped accepting Ration Card as Proof of Address. Now, if my name appears in my sister's Ration Card with clear descripttion as "brother" does it help ? If I give a copy of the Ration Card as a sort of proof of my relationship with my sister, along with her Passport copy as Proof of Address (confirming her as a bona fide resident of given address in Ration Card matching with that in Passport) with a letter from her stating that I too reside at the same address and that she has no objection to my using the same shouldn't it be acceptable ? Am amazed that SBI declined to accept this set of documents. As a last resort I managed to register for Aadhar Card / No. with my particulars exactly as mentioned above (with Ration Card as supporting document for address+Passport copy of sister) & my own PAN Card as Proof of ID. Since this will take atleast 3-4 months, I wanted to get my present address updated promptly at Banks etc. whom I am supposed to intimate on change of address. Ironically, my voluntary submission on change of address is being declined by these very Banks.

I wonder what people do when they stay with close relatives (say, brother staying with his married elder brother's family) when they have no means to produce an independent Proof oF Address. I think the law / rules should be updated to modify such stringent regulations. With so many people migrating from their home States / Towns to various parts of India, the Govt must be practical and show consideration to special cases.

Regards,

Ramesh

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register