LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gopal Krishna Behera (Advocate Orissa High Court Cuttack.)     13 September 2009

Certificate of Marriage- A Couple-Armenian Woman-Indian Man.

A woman, a citizen of fthe Republic of Armenia (Catholic by religion)and A man a citizen of India ( Hindu by religion), while studying abroad both of them fell in love. In 2007 both came to India, having necessary passport & visa. Since then they have been residing in a rented house at Cuttack, Orissa as wife & husband. Last week they approached me for a certificate of marriage from the Marriage Officer, Cuttack, Orissa. Is law permits? If yes, what is the law and in what extent. If no, then what is the other solution? Please guide. In anticipation of early reply.Thanking you all...... With heartiest regards.


 4 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     13 September 2009

Mr Gopalkrishna,

Kindly refer the Foreign Marriage Act, 1969 for the solution, further it is not clear whether the parties are wedded or is it a live-in relationship. Further, in the query it is stated that both are residing in Orissa but what type of Visa is the Armenian is holding has to be checked and kindly clarify what is the validity of her stay in India, since, there can be other legal tangles involved after the marriage.

Anjali (IT)     13 September 2009

I think the girl might need to get Noobjection certificate / marriage absence certificate from her embassy. [if her country got an embassy in India ].  Alternatively, go to arya samaj and convert her to Hindu , perform the marriage over their and get the certificate.Anyway still some more legal process to be done, I believe our experts here will answer you better than me

Kamal Grover (Advocate High Court Chandigarh M:09814110005 email:adv.kamal.grover@gmail.com)     13 September 2009

First you have to guide them for special marriage or Arya smaj marriage due to different religion coz catholic and hindu cannot marry under hindu marriage act.

Then perform the marriage under sepcial marriage act,

Else short way is perform Arya smaj marriage and then file the case in high court for protection and it will validate and stamp the court on thier validity then registration will be done without any hussal.



Dear gopalakrishan you can also call me for any further guidence or mail me


Gopal Krishna Behera (Advocate Orissa High Court Cuttack.)     18 September 2009

Dear Vishalji,

        The armenian woman is holding a tourist visa and since last two years that visa has been extended.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register