IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

shyam (Software Engg)     05 November 2009

Caste Conversion From General to SC after marriage

Hi, Recently I got married .My wife belongs to general caste and myself -Scheduled Caste. Is there any clause in Indian LAW,using which my wife can convert to Scheduled Caste.

    If anyone know this information,please help me out.

Thanks and Regards



 8 Replies

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     05 November 2009

Supreme declared the law that Person born in forward class and transplanted to Backward class by marriage , adoption or ny other voluntary act are not entitled to benefit of Reservation. Valsamma Paul (Mrs) Vs Cochin University: 1996 (1) SCALE 85.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     05 November 2009

Read as Supreme Court

shyam (Software Engg)     05 November 2009

 My wife wants to avail the benefits of SC for age relaxation in banking/government jobs. Can this benefits be claimed as she is married to SC?

Meenakshi (Lawyer)     05 November 2009

 Nope Not Possible Marriage only Effects the change in wife surname not the Caste....

1 Like

Sanjeev Kuchhal (Publishers)     06 November 2009

Person acquires caste by birth and not by marriage. 

The caste of the children is determined on the basis of the father's caste, such concessions and benefits would be available to the children as they are available to their father. However, such concessions will not be available to the wife who originally belongs to general caste.


sunil pagare (lawyer)     22 November 2009

I am agree with Mr.Sanjeev Kuchhal

DR.SANAT KUMAR DASH (Eye Specialist)     07 March 2010


Vandana S (C)     14 February 2012


I belong to a caste in BC and want to marry a boy who belongs to a caste in MBC. I am 25 and he is 30. The familly of that guy are not accepting for the marriage as I belong to a different caste. So, I would like to change my caste voluntarily into the same caste that he belongs before our marriage. This is to get his Family Members consent for our marriage. Does our law and Tradition allow such Voluntary caste conversion ? If so what is the procedure for that? Please Guide.

I assure that I am not doing this to avail any benefits but to lead a life with the person I like.



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query