Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

jammy (exec)     07 April 2011

caste certificate

when is a caste certificate given to a person? during birth, or later? and which castes get a certificate (ex - SC, ST, FC etc) ? is it mandatory to have a caste certificate even if a person is not using it?


 13 Replies

premjibhai (ex-judge & advocate)     07 April 2011

Caste certificate is required to obtain from competent authority.SC means scheduled caste, ST means Scheduled case,OBC means other backward class,. And it is not mandatory to  have caste certificate.If  someone wants to take the benifits of the caste then caste certificate is nessary otherwise not.

jammy (exec)     07 April 2011

thanks for the reply. so, how can caste of a person be proved if there is no certificate? or how to find out the caste if a person is from a caste apart from sc/st/obc?

premjibhai (ex-judge & advocate)     08 April 2011

If there is no caste certificate then caste  of the person can be proved by school leaving certificate, by Birth Registration Certificate, by parents certificate of caste, and  by declaration  from competent civil court.

sarah (student)     18 August 2011


My parents have OBC certificates done for my brother. But my caste comes both in OBC and SC categories. Now, I'd like to have SC certificate done. My parents have no idea about these things. Will my SC certificate valid when my brother has OBC certificate?


Thanks for any help/reply.


Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     26 November 2011

The ecannot be any case of any caseete falling under both category in the same state.  A SC in one state can be OBC in another or general candidate in yet another state.  The lists are avilable on the website of the ministry of social emppowerment and even on the wbsite of department of personnel and training.  The books on reservation rules is generally available in all bid Govt deptt and PSU. You need to consult the list of the castes (state wise).  If your parents of OBC certificate then SC certificate cannot be easily issued to you without making any false statement. 

1 Like

sarah (student)     27 November 2011

I did check the caste list and that is the reason I even got confused. The caste is on both the OBC and SC lists. In SC, it says if mentioned so. Now my confusion is if in the School Leaving Certificate if the caste is mentioned and the SC field is left empty, is it still okay to apply for the SC certificate?

raghu (B.E)     12 December 2011

Dear expert panel,

  My father is a notary advocate. I belong to OBC category. The notary is gazzetted officer in as much as central government published the list of notary as gazzetted officer in the gazzette notification published by the 1st week of january/2008 and a notary is also appointed by gazzete notification.

Do the sons/daughters of a notary public advocate fall in the creamy layer OBC category?

B.N.Rajamohamed (advocate / commissioner of oaths)     13 December 2011


Commubnity certificate is a useful tool for getting employments where reservation will be prescribed for the concerned community. One way it is must for the men of letters. 

Ajay (Research Student)     30 July 2012


Some of the school record have been seen that between 1900-1914 there are not specific record of caste

only mention the caste not subcaste is there any law/ notification of that time of register record mentioning 

do not note down the subcaste of the lower caste people

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     02 August 2012

Caster certificate is issued based n the report of Patwari.

nisith (na)     26 December 2012

Dear sir I am Nisith Patra, from West Bengal. My father told me that we are Pan Tanti. Though I dont know which is my caste Pan or Tanti. My question is can I get caste Certificate. If yes, in which category? SC or OBC-B. I am the first one of my family to apply for this.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     26 December 2012

asl tehsil office

ajaz sorthiya (Aspirant)     21 December 2014

Hello sir , My father was born and completed his education in gujarat.
Then he migrated to Mumbai for job opportunity.
He belongs to OBC in Gujarat and Central List.
He has school Leaving certificate in which caste is mentioned.
I was born in mumbai and all my and my father's documents has residential proof of mumbai.
Can i get OBC certificate from Gujarat?
And my father is an electrician. Can we get Non-creamy layer certificate ?
Please tell me the procedure
Its urgent
Thank you

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register