LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

malcolm xavier (private)     17 July 2013

Car insurance urgent help

Hi my father took a car loan for me last year from hdfc bank, he is a govt employe and we have been paying the emi loan every month without delay its almost a year now and he is getting calls from hdfc insurance agent to renew the car insurance, i told my father its ok we don't need to renew car insurance for another year. but these pesky calls are continuing everyday they call my father for car insurance renew, my father gave their number to me and i call up and one guy answered but he doesn't know english and he said the guy who know english will come to office tomorow so i did'nt call back, and my father continues to receive calls about car insurance and i told my father to give him my number and this insurance guy will call me later. my question is, my car is not a commercial car, is it mendatory to get renew car insurance for the second year? if i don't want to renew car insurance then can these hdfc insurance people forced me to renew my car insurance?

Learning

7 Replies

2BHelpfull (Other)     17 July 2013

Under Moter Vehicle Act,

No car (commercial or Private) can ply on road if it has no insurance or insurance has expired.

if u r caught u will be in deep trouble .

u can opt for third party insurance which will have less premium amt then comprehensive insurance. contact ur agent and he will guide u better .

u can get ur car insured from any other insurance agency .

BUT INSURANCE OF CAR  IS COMPULSORY

V Kumar (Asipiring L)     18 August 2013

Absolutely!!! Car insurance is a must . I will explain why:

When you ply your car on the road and there is an accident, you may cause damage to another person or his/her property. That is known as third party insurance. You can buy the same from iffco tokio, sbi general, national insurance  or any other insuruance providers. You can visit their websites at sbigeneral.co.in , icicilombard.com

TPL will cost around 1000K for a small car or ~3500 if ur car is above 1500 cc.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     22 August 2013

It is truen that you are not bound to insurance car from them

BUT  bringing the car on road without valid insurance is a crime and the driver and owner of car can be in Jail even if no accident is committed.  Such can be impounded anytime by any cop at any place.

Further if anyone is injured or dies because of accident the  compensation paying  (in addition to inprisonement) can be heavy and no cost of repair of car (at times 1/2 the cost) to your car or other vehicle shall be borne by your.  If other vehicle is driven rashly still you are guilty who is driving car illegally.

If the insurance is expired and then new insurance company will charge inspection charges for insurance policy and the old insurer may be giving you

V Kumar (Asipiring L)     26 August 2013

100% agree with the expert comments form Mr Sudhir - there is no question about this...

You should take his advise and move on..

Best,

VK

My blog:theinsurer.in

Raj Kanwar (Sr. Executive)     08 April 2014

Motor insurance is not only essential but also mandatory by law. I use to also think the same however some recent events turned me towards my insurance company - Liberty Videocon. Scenario includes

1) If your car gets towed 2 important documents apart from the main papers are insurance and PUC

2) If you meet an accident your insurance company takes care of own property damage and third party property damage and bodily injury which is just too much to spend. Trust me on this.

3) REQUIRED BY LAW.

Shivesh Sinha (Legal Adviser)     09 April 2014

Dear Mr.malcolm xavier,

I have perused your query being posted at the Forum of Lawyersclubindia with regard to insurance of your private car and have also perused altogether five responses thereto at this Forum.

Your query whispers two points to be clarified and those are :-

a) Can hdfc Insurance Company compel you to get renewed the Insurance of your private car by & through them, considering the fact that it was insured firstly by them at its purchase ?

b) Is Insurance of your car is mandatory its being a private ?

Following are the answers to both above chronologically :-

a) No Insurance company can compel any one for getting insured of their vehicle by and/or through them, as it is the prerogative of an individual and hence you may deny or accept the calls from hdfc for the purpose.

b) YES, Insurance of any vehicle, except owned by the central government or being exempted by the appropriate government; is MUST if it is to be or being used in a public place. {refer sec.146 (1) of the Motor Vehicle Act,1998}.

If you ply your said private car on a road or use in a public place having no valid insurance,you shall be held responsible having committed an offense u/s 177 of the said Act,1998 and would be penalized accordingly.

My advise is to you that its your discretion to have your car being insured by any authorised Insurer Company at earliest to avoid legal complications for self.

Feel free to seek any further clarification by approaching me through the website, noted below.

Thanking You,

SHIVESH SINHA, Advocate Cum Legal Adviser to www.powertoconsumer.in

k.aaronic (ombudsman)     22 March 2015

a car weather  it is private or commercial one  insurance (third party ) is compulsary one, asper law. if the car is having loan comprehensive insurance is must to protect the interest of the financer, because if the car totally damaged or theft the insurance company will companstate/ pay the entire cost  of the car to the financer  &YOU WILL BE ALSO BENEFITTED

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register