LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mukesh Kumar (MANAGER)     24 June 2011

Cancellation of Agreement to sell

Sir, My father has entered into a agreement to sell for his property thr. property dealer and get 10% as biana. His age is +65 years. We both i.e. both son has signed as witness in that agreement.

As per agreement, buyer take 3 month time to execute the agreement and to pay the balance 90% sale amount but when we ask for part payment, He told that he will execute the agreement after 2 month and make payment before that. Just for precaution, he is taking 1 month extra time.But the whole conversation was Orally and not in writing for part payment. But he fails to make part payment and told us that after 15 days, he will be able to make part payment which is also not sure. 

Is it a ground of default for buyer side and can we cancel the agreement on such oral discussion?

Now, my father don't want to execute the agreement i.e. don't want to sell. As per agreement, if he broke the same, he would be liable to pay double of biana amount to the party. We don't have capacity to pay double. We can only refund the received sum as biana with normal bank interest.

What shall we do?

Can court order us to pay double biana or force to execute the agreement?

Can we file petition in court for cancellation  of the above agreement of sale?

Can we file FIR against the buyer if he threaten us to execute the agreement or force illegally to make double payment?

Can any police action be taken by the buyer against us?

Kindly advice us at the earliest.

Learning

5 Replies

jeetendra patel (lawyer)     24 June 2011

one cannot go beyond the written agreement and terms contained therein. oral commitment will not prevail over the written agreement.buyer can always go in the court of law for the specific performance of the agreement.in your case you have already received some considerations. so you will have to go as per the terms of the agreement as far as execution of final conveyance/refund of biana.

J.P.PATEL ADVOCATE (9921158871)

S.MANIMARAN (Advocate)     24 June 2011

when a agreement is execueted you must very careful on your part and everything go in writing, as per the agreement three month time is avilable for the buyer until that you did not have no other option ( you did not given refund clause details) but after over of three months if the buyer not kept is word as per the term of the agreement ,  you have opportunity to cancel the agreement by way sending legal notice terminating the agreement along with demand draft of the advance amount paid to you or otherwies the agreement is legally vaild for three years even though it not registrated he can file a suit for specific performance against you in civil court, but he as to establish that he is ready and willing to purchase the land by paying the remaining sale consideration but it  will take done in single day.

Mukesh Kumar (MANAGER)     25 June 2011

Thanks for reply

If my father don't want to execute the same and also unable to make double advance money & the buyer go in court for demanding double of advance money as per terms of agreement, what will be action of court in that situation?

Mukesh Kumar (MANAGER)     25 June 2011

Thanks for reply

If my father don't want to execute the same and also unable to make double advance money & the buyer go in court for demanding double of advance money as per terms of agreement, what will be action of court in that situation?

Can offering of advance money with interest protect us from execution of agreement of sale?

jeetendra patel (lawyer)     25 June 2011

IF BUYER SHOWS READY AND WILLINGNESS TO PAY THE REMAINING CONSIDERATION WITHIN THE TIME PERIOD AND SEEKS RELIEF FOE EXECUTION OF THE AGREEMENT AND IN THE ALTERNATIVE FOR REFUND OF BIANA  ALONGWITH DAMAGES THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO EXECUTE THE AGREEMENTOR REFUND THE AMOUNT AS PER THE AGREEMENT WITH OR WITHOUT DAMAGES DEPENDING ON THE MERIT OF THE CASE AND THE DISCRETION OF THE COURT.

J,P,PATEL ADVOCATE PUNE (9921158871)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register