LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Taken for granted (housewife)     19 May 2014

Can lawyer misuse vakalatnama

As I am not able to be present in person on the first date of hearing in the divoce case filed by my husband in another city (where marriage is registered) the lawyer is saying I need to sign a vakalatnama and he will be there on the date to represent me.Can lawyer misuse this authority ?

I do not intend to offend lawyers,i am having doubts so please answer me.Regards and Thanks.

Learning

5 Replies

stanley (Freedom)     19 May 2014

What the lawyer is stating is correct provided it means that you want to hire him and hence you have to sign the vakalatnama

Vakalatnama is the urdu term which means the a person gives power to an advocate of his choice to plead and argue his case on his behalf. The procedure for filing vakalatnama is the person signed on it and the names of advocates appear on it. 

if not than .

Missing one date would not matter much  . As and when the next date is given which can be tracked on the court website you can attend the date along with your application for representing yourself as party in person and also submit your written statement .   

Alternatively you can send in an application with your signature along with another person stating a genuine reason as to why you cant attend the and seek an adjournment from the court . Which i presume the court would grant the same . 

1 Like

satish bhaskar (Litigant)     19 May 2014

he won't misuse it. it is a necessity.

1 Like

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     19 May 2014

Trust We are lawyers.

1 Like

Navaneetha Krishnan (engineer)     19 May 2014

Hi on the same lines i am also having one question.During the second counselling for the marriage annulment which wife had filled stating husband married due to force by his parents,the girls side had asked to solve the case mutually with my lawyer as well as will the counsellors.However my lawyer is suggesting to wait as they are still acting and will ask for huge alimony now if we offer for mutual as there is no chance for them to win this annulment case.Can i trust my lawyer because my question is when they are fine with mutual now as its already more than a year now and even if they ask for huge money it will be mentioned in the MOU and i wont be signing that right.Then why my lawyers is asking to wait i donno.Should i wait for more time???

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     24 May 2014

you asked

Can lawyer misuse this authority ?

Ans Yes he can so better be present on the dates.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register