Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

kulwinder singh (officer)     29 January 2014

Can i sign an agreement to sell on behalf of another party?

Can I legally sign an agreement to sell on behalf of another party without their power of attorney? The person is an NRI and currently abroad. Do I need a power of attorney? If I can sign on their behalf without a power of attorney, is their anything specifically that should be mentioned about the signatory? Thank you for your assistance.

Learning

7 Replies

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     29 January 2014

Legally you cannot sign the sale agreement on behalf of any person/party , to sign on the sale agreement you must get POA from the person/party concern , without this if you will sign the agreement on behalf of that person/party he will file a criminal case against you u/s 420 ipc .

Biswanath Roy (Advocate)     29 January 2014

Rightly opined Mr. LAXMI KANT JOSHI I agree with him.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     31 January 2014

Yes I agree with Mr.Joshi.  You cannot sign a sale agreement or sale deed on behalf of the owner in the absence of any power given to you, obtain the same and proceed.

kulwinder singh (officer)     01 February 2014

Do I need a power of attorney even if I am signing for the buyer?

kulwinder singh (officer)     01 February 2014

Do I need a power of attorney even if I am signing for the buyer? Is their any particular law regarding this ie; Indian Contract Act? Thank you.

Adv Akhtar Ali Sheikh (Property Law Consultant)     15 February 2014

Provided the buyer appoints you to act on his / her behalf. (And that appointment is POA).

There are more or less 24 laws (like TP ACT, Regn Act, Stamp Act, Mhada, MOFA, Society, Income Tax Act  and many more) involved in immoveable property transaction including the Contract Act .

kulwinder singh (officer)     16 February 2014

Is their particular section in any particular act prohibiting me from signing? Thank you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register