Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

kulwinder singh (officer)     29 January 2014

Can i sign an agreement to sell on behalf of another party?

Can I legally sign an agreement to sell on behalf of another party without their power of attorney? The person is an NRI and currently abroad. Do I need a power of attorney? If I can sign on their behalf without a power of attorney, is their anything specifically that should be mentioned about the signatory? Thank you for your assistance.

Learning

4 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     29 January 2014

Law will not accept without power of attorney. So it is a must.

Udaya Shankar. C (Retired)     29 January 2014

Power of attorney is the legal authorisation to act on behalf of some body. With out  POA, you are not supposed to put your signature in any related papers or represent the party. It tantamount to impersonation and may lead to legal/criminal complications for you. Hence insist on General Power of attorney or specific power of attorney for this case.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     31 January 2014

You cannot sign the sale agreement on behalf of the owner without a Power of Attorney deed in your favor, it can be treated as a criminal offence too u/s 420 IPC.

Daksh (Student)     11 March 2014

Dear Kulvinder,

Even abroad an NRI can give Power of Attorney through the attestation done at the concerned Embassy as per law the Embassy official in every country are enpowered with the power of attestation.  Hence you may purchase stamp paper get the Power of Attorney made and send it across to your NRI abroad who will sign, get it notarized, attested by the Local Indian Embassy authorized person and then it can be forwarded to you as well for all intent and purposes and shall be a legally enforceable document.

Hope this clarify still if you wish you send me PM.

Thanks and best regards

Daksh

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register