LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gourab Roy   21 January 2023

Can i filled rti to seek information of cyber crimecomplaint status

I'm a accused of a cyber crime complaint filled against me. But as per complainant statement the complaint was withdraw before 1/2 months. Now I need complaint status copy from police officer and for that complainant said me i have to go particular police station. And I don't want to go there and meet with police. Can i filled RTI application through online method for seeking complaint status and copy of investigation.?? 

Learning

10 Replies

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)     21 January 2023

Dear Mr Roy, 

Yes you can file RTI for getting copy of complaint and you can also ask for the status of the complaint. 

The police is under Home Department of State Government. If your State Government has made portal for online RTI applications then you can file RTI through online mode. Otherwise you file RTI application through post to the State public Information officer of the Police department. File the RTI in Police Headquarter of your district. 

Regards

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)

District & Session Court, Chandigarh

Punjab & Haryana High Court, at Chandigarh

Disclaimer:- Opinion is only for guidance.  

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     21 January 2023

Yes. I agree with the advice of Mr. Shubham Bhardwaj sir.

Gourab Roy   21 January 2023

What if I submit it on this portal : rtionline.gov.in

There are some issue eleted payment gateway that's why unble to fill it on state website

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     22 January 2023

You may proceed and file online application under the provisions of RTI Act, 2005 as provided in the gateway

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)     22 January 2023

Dear Mr Roy, 

The site mentioned by you relates to central government. You cannot file RTI application on that since your matter relates to State Government. 

Regards

Shubham Bhardwaj

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     26 January 2023

RTI is admissible for information available in public domain.  FIR is a document in public domain.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     26 January 2023

If the complaint has been withdrawn or the case has been closed the information can be obtained through RTI. But if the investigation is still in progress, the information can be refused under Section 8(h) depending on the status of investigation.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     27 January 2023

Agreed with Dr Ramani.           

Lakshmi Pavan   11 March 2024

Hi , I have a filed a  complaint on online trading fraud on Feb 2 ,2024 at national cyber crime portal. They asked us to file fir in nearest cybercrime central. We have given a written complaint on 3rd feb. After several follow ups they have given  FIR on 22nd feb dated 22ndfeb.. no one iscooperating with is. Still I am not getting any updates if I am contacting they are asking us to contact local cybercrime. In this case can we file RTI?

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     19 March 2024

Originally posted by : Lakshmi Pavan

Hi , I have a filed a  complaint on online trading fraud on Feb 2 ,2024 at national cyber crime portal. They asked us to file fir in nearest cybercrime central. We have given a written complaint on 3rd feb. After several follow ups they have given  FIR on 22nd feb dated 22ndfeb.. no one iscooperating with is. Still I am not getting any updates if I am contacting they are asking us to contact local cybercrime. In this case can we file RTI?

open your own indenpedent query.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register