LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pushpak (Student)     30 October 2012

Can i drive my private vehicle in another state?


Previously I worked in Rajasthan, there I have owned a car which is registered in Rajasthan state. Now I have transferred to Delhi. I want to know can I drive my car in Delhi? Is there any LAW for re-registration for driving a private car in other state?


 6 Replies

anil yadav (ns)     30 October 2012

yes, no need re registration. aap apni car ko india me kahi par be drive kar sakte h but agar aap apni car me CNG kit lagwana chahte h to aap ko apni car delhi me reregistration karwana hoga.

Pushpak (Student)     30 October 2012

Hello Anil,

Thanks for reply.

There is no CNG kit in my car and I use my car for going to office as a daily routine. So once a traffic police constable make a challan for my car. He says that you have to re-registration your car if you wish to drive it for more than 90 days in other state. So I want to know it is a LAW or the constable make a wrong statement. 

anil yadav (ns)     30 October 2012

i aslo use my haryana registred car in delhi past 1 year. nobody make challan for this purpose.aap ko constable ne challan me kya fill kar ke diya tha ki kis base par challan kata jaa raha h.

surjit singh (Assistant)     08 November 2012

As per motor vehicle act your registration certificate is valid all over india but when you know that the vehile will lbe plied in a particular area for more than 6 months then in that case you need not have to re-register the vehicle but will have to make an entry in the DTO of lthedistrict that such and such vehicle is being plied in the area and the local address of the owner of the vehicle is so and so. There is a form for making entry of such vehicle in the DTO.

Santosh Sharda (self)     14 December 2012

Eventually, if the car has remained in the different state for more than 12 months, it is required to be registered and the fresh registration number obtained.

dr adarsh yadwad (consultant)     21 May 2013


"CMV act says that till 12 months one need not pay tax in another state,but my car was stopped by RTA,Vizag n i was told to pay life tax of AP immediately,according to them it is not 12 months but only one month,which is true sir"?
can u help me pl?
i've just brought my car to vizag n if the job is good i shall stay or else go back to karnataka,pl help!!
today the RTA stopped my car n took my documnets saying pay the tax n take back ur documents,what to do????

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register