Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sonu (Software Engineer)     31 October 2013

Can husband file dowry harrasment case against wife?

Can HUSBAND FILE DOWRY HARRASMENT case against wife?

Most of you have heard that...in olden days males use to give dowry to females for marriage.

Now a days also I heard in some areas males are giving dowry to females for marriage.

So this 498A or what ever DOWRY HARRASMENT laws are not applicable for Males (Husbands)?

Learning

6 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     01 November 2013

anything given by either side of marraige as a consideration of marraige is dowry and demand is punishable from either side.

BAALASUBRAMANNYAMM (Advocate)     01 November 2013

Constitution of India has given equal rights to both the genders i,e., Male and Female. Hence there is no difference.

ashoksrivastava (scientist)     01 November 2013

Originally posted by : Sonu

Can HUSBAND FILE DOWRY HARRASMENT case against wife?

Most of you have heard that...in olden days males use to give dowry to females for marriage.

Now a days also I heard in some areas males are giving dowry to females for marriage.

So this 498A or what ever DOWRY HARRASMENT laws are not applicable for Males (Husbands)?

@querist DP act is gender neutral but remedy of 498A is available only to wife

regards ASHOK

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     02 November 2013

498A can not be applicable against wife, only DP act will be applicable, read section 3 of DP act

Santosh Shetti (Legal Practisioner)     08 November 2013

Yes you can take action under Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961...but there cannot be any action u/s. 498A IPC.

Santosh Shetti (Legal Practisioner)     08 November 2013

Yes you can take action under Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961...but there cannot be any action u/s. 498A IPC.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register